Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Do You Worry As Much As I Do???


It’s this time of year that I seem to worry more than any other time.  Everyone who knows me, knows I will “find” something to worry about if I don’t have anything to worry about, so this scripture below seems to be talking directly to me.   I worry about having to talk to our CPA, Chuck Stein, who scares the bajebees out of me each time he calls.  My heart speeds up, I start sweating, and I would rather have a root canal than talk to him.  Why?  I really don’t know.  I have asked myself that question a MILLION times, but he intimates me so much and I would just rather do ANYTHING than talk to him.  But its getting to be that time of year that I’m going to have to talk to him.  Ugh.  I worry about whats going on with the economy and the fact that we don’t have much time to make up for what we’ve lost.  Will we have enough to get by?  Have I done a good enough job of saving?  I worry about Charlie and his health.  What if something happened to him?  I worry about Mom.  Her health is failing and I feel so helpless not being able to do anything about it.  Have I made it worse by dragging her to so many doctors?  I worry about my friend Jen who has chronic back pain.  Will she ever be able to live without pain again?  Why has the Lord allowed so many challenges in her life?  I worry about Troy and the business, although he has done a fantastic job of taking it over and growing it.  Does he know how much we appreciate him?  Do our granddaughters know how much we love them?  Do we show and tell them enough?  

So you see what I mean.  I’m a worrier.  But I know that Jesus has encouraged us not to worry about those things which we cannot control or about that  which is not important.  I should worry instead about my priorities and the condition of my soul.  I need to carefully look at the priorities of my heart and know that this worry loses its grip on me when God is firmly established at my center

"So I tell you, don't worry about everyday life—whether you have enough food, drink, and clothes. Doesn't life consist of more than food and clothing? Look at the birds. They don't need to plant or harvest or put food in barns because your heavenly Father feeds them. And you are far more valuable than they are. Can all your worry add a single moment to your life? Of course not.

"So don't worry about having enough food or drink or clothing. Why be like the pagans who are so deeply concerned about these things? Your heavenly Father already knows all your needs, and he will give you all your needs and he will give you all you need from day to day if you live for him and make the Kingdom of God your primary concern.

So don't worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today's trouble is enough for today!"

Matthew 6:25-34 NLT

No comments: