Sunday, June 28, 2009

DAY 27: Grants Pass, Oregon - What's That White Stuff On Your Face, Chuck??






Saturday, June 27, Grants Pass, Oregon

I think the Texas hot weather finally caught up to us here in Oregon.  It was mostly HOT today!  I can hear my Texas friends laughing right now saying, "Well, its about time.....she's bragged long enough about the cool weather".  Yep, I just knew that would make your day!

But what a day it was!  We hopped out of bed this morning feeling energized and ready to see the Redwood Forest.  We were happy to see that Murphy was feeling better this morning as well.  Yesterday he was so lethargic.  He just wanted to lay around and sleep and just looked exhausted.  It wasn't until late yesterday evening that it dawned on me why.  As you may recall (go back and read DAY 25 if you need to), he had a pretty "active" day on Thursday.  Remember, that was the day he wouldn't leave his monkey alone.......kept "humping" it all day long in front of the entire campground.  Well, he must have been completely worn out on Friday from all the activity on Thursday is what I'm figuring......but today.....he's back to his old self! 

Today, we rode the trike into California and right smack into the middle of the Redwood National Forest.  It was amazing.  The lady at the Information Shack told me we needed to take this one small, slightly not paved road (don't tell Chuck that part.....he thinks I didn't know it wasn't paved) that went through some beautiful redwoods.  Said it was the most scenic road out there.  We decided to go ahead and see the coast first and then catch that "special" road on the way back.  So we rode up and down the California coast about 40-50 miles and then headed back. We're flying around hairpin curves, checking out the ocean and the beautiful redwood trees when I hear something smacking in my motorcycle helmet intercom with Chuck.  I turn around and see him eating white powdered donuts with white sugar caked around his mouth.  I'm like, "Where the heck did you get powdered donuts from"???  (see picture).  In a few minutes, he's wanting to stop and get coffee to wash the donuts down with (again, see picture).....

Anyway, we then head down this "special" redwood forest road.  We had been on the road probably no more than....oh...say....30 SECONDS when I discovered Chuck was SO not going to be happy with this road.  First: It was not paved (shhhh...I didn't know anything about that, ok?!!). Normally, not paved is not that big a deal; however, he had just detailed the trike yesterday and this was a dusty white powder road (not unlike his earlier donuts..) Second: It was very bumpy.  This is a problem as he couldn't keep his coffee in the cupholder.  Third: He is of the opinion you see one redwood tree, you've seen them all.    So, as you can see, this road was going to be problematic.  I just continued on.....oooing and aaahhhing at every tree I saw until he finally just said, "It's time.......let's get out of here!"  I have to say, he lasted longer than I thought he would.   So home we headed.

In total, we rode 250 miles today.  Long, butt-aching day on the trike, but was some of the most beautiful scenery we have ever layed eyes on.  Around every corner was a new experience.....a new smell......a new sight.  There's nothing like living this on a motorcycle.

BTW, one of the pictures above is a view of us reflected off a milk truck on the Hwy 101.  I just thought it was cool.

Tomorrow, who knows where we'll be.  We'll decide in the morning.  

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are inspiring me!
ant ellie

Anonymous said...

HWY 101 is fabuous - but I'm with truck, you've seen one Redwood, you've seen them all.

PS - Doesn't Chuck know that when you wash/detail your car/cycle, it will get dirty the next day???

Ellen

NORMAN H said...

HI GUYS,

SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAD A WONDERFUL DAY IN THE RED WOOD. WE HAVE NEVER SEEN THEM. SOUNDS GREAT.

IT'S STILL 100 DEGREES HERE EVERY DAY. WERE GOING TO ROCKPORT FOR THE 4TH. IT'S ABOUT 10 DEGREES COOLER AND THE OCEAN IS THERE.

KEEP UP THE GOOD LOAFING.

LOVE

SUE AND NORM

CO.

Anonymous said...

Hi you guys,

We just got home from our trip. We spent those two free nights in Newport and then on to Florence for 2 nights. Both neat towns. Where are you? Let us know.

Hope all well,

John

NORMAN H said...

HI,
GOOD THING YOUR COACH HAS SUPER STEERING. I WOULD HAVE IT CHECKED THE NEXT TIME YOU SEE A DEALER.
I GUESS THE RAILROAD CAR WAS THE EXCITEMENT FOR THE DAY.

LOVE

SUE AND NORM

NMRRCS