Thursday, July 2, 2009

DAY 32: Salt Lake City, UT - Nothin' Like A Ride In The Rain....








Thursday, July 2 - Salt Lake City, UT

My day started REAL early.....5:30 am!  When we checked into the campground last night, the little lady showing us to our spot told me about an awesome event that doesn't happen often.  She said the Morman Tabernacle Choir was putting on a Dress Rehearsal today at 7:30 and that they had a free shuttle from the RV park to the Tabernacle.  I was quite excited to hear this as this would kill two birds with one stone: 1) I could see the Tabernacle and 2) I could hear the Choir.  WOW! I remember asking her AM or PM and she said AM, so I get Chuck up (who, by the way, I gave a "pass" to as he really didn't want to go.....but he needed to drive me to the office as its a LONG way up there).  We left the RV about 6:50 am and headed to the front.  I thought it was strange that only one guy was sitting up by the office.  Where was everyone?  Did the shuttle leave already??  Did I forget to turn my clock forward an hour??  I thought maybe it was just too early for them and they would all catch the next shuttle; afterall, they run every 30 minutes.  I asked the guy sitting outside the office if he was waiting for the shuttle to hear the Choir and he just had a buffugled idiotic look on his face and shrugged.  Hummm.....so we waited.  Fortunately, Chuck decided to wait until the shuttle got there before heading back to the RV......so I did what I always do in these type of situations......I call my sister.  So she and I talked and talked and talked and then a lady came to open the office.  I asked her about the shuttle to hear the choir and she had that same buffugled idiotic look on her face too.  That's when she broke the news to me that its at 7:30 PM.  Ugh.......I can hear my sister on the other end of the phone laughing and I can also read her mind.....she's thinking, "That's my sister; God love her!".  So here we are; up, showered and dressed and its not even 8:00 am yet.  Thats a record for us on this trip.  So.........we washed the trike...AGAIN.  

We went back to the RV and scheduled our day.  It was suppose to rain this afternoon, so we wanted to get some riding done this morning before it rained.  We located some fantastic motorcycle roads in and around Salt Lake City on the internet and headed out to find them.   And we were not disappointed.......WOW!  Fantastic........check it out on YouTube when you get a chance.....the video doesn't even begin to show what we saw.....seriously amazing.

As I'm oooing and aaahing around each corner, I feel Chuck messing with my shirt behind me.  I finally ask him what he's doing and thats when he asks me if I knew my shirt was on inside out. No way!!  Well, Yes Way!!!  Errrr... sure enough, my shirt was on inside out.....see, that's what happens when I get up too early.   Anyway, we had a beautiful ride, however, we weren't able to outrun the rain......nope.....we got soaked.   

Got back to the RV and cleaned up a bit (turned my shirt right side out) and headed back up to the front office to wait for the shuttle.  Finally got the time right and headed downtown to the Morman Tabernacle.  Once there,  two young ladies were waiting to be my guide and take me personally all around the area.  They were adorable (see picture).  I don't know many Mormans, but I have to say, they were the nicest group of people I've ever met.  Once I was finished with the tour, I was fortunate enough to sit and listen to the Morman Tabernacle Choir at dress rehearsal along with the orchestra.  How many people get to do that???  Too cool.......

Anyway, caught the shuttle (barely) back to the RV park and here I am telling you all about it.  I wish each of you could have been there with me experiencing this.....it was so much more than I had ever thought and the beauty can't be described.  Chuck was suppose to give Murphy a much needed bath while I was gone, but as I'm looking down at Murphy right now, he has had no bath (see picture).

Well, tomorrow we unhook the sewer hose and head on out of town.  We'll see how far we can get before calling it a day....I think it's a mountain climbing day in the RV.....Ugh......

P.S.  I love my new camera!!!!!

I Love You Sissie......And Wish You Were Here Cause We'd Be Getting In Trouble Together!


7 comments:

NORMAN H said...

HEY YOU ALL,
SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAD A GOOD DAY AFTER ALL. IT MUST HAVE BEEN EXCITING TO ATTEND THE CHIOR PRACTICE.
WE ARE IN ROCKPORT FOR THE NEXT FEW DAYS AND LOOKING FORWARD TO A GREAT 4TH OF JULY WEEK END. THE ART FESTIVAL IS ALSO THIS WEEK END.

LOVE YOU ALL

SUE AND NORM

GP

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous! SLC is one of my favorite cities!!!!

Tiffany

Sarah long said...

You look like you are having a great time. You know I'm Mormon right?

Anonymous said...

I bet the Mormon Tabernacle Choir was something
else....Such discipline and beauty. I got to
hear the choir one time when visiting Epcot..they
were there for a couple of days and we didn't
even know it...just happened on it. Very good
music. Sounds like you are having such fun...
I love hearing about it. ant ellie

Anonymous said...

Awesome - one of those unexpected events you will always remember..

Ellen

NORMAN H said...

HEY,

WE CALL IT A SLOW DAY WHEN WE DRIVE 8 HOURS WITHOUT MUCH EXCITEMENT, HOWEVER, THE GUY AT THE GAS STATION SOLVED THAT.
WE ARE IN ROCKPORT WHERE IT WAS 92 TODAY AND SUPPOSED TO BE 100 FOR THE 4TH OF JULY. WERE SICK OF THE HOT WEATHER TOO. HAVEN'T HAD A RAIN IN WEEKS, GRASS IS ALL DEAD. WE STILL HAVE THE OCEAN.

LOVE YOU ALL,

SUE AND NORM

HIS'S

Anonymous said...

Did the choir even compare to the pipe organ concert we attended in Paris?!!!

Now....that was unforgetable!!

Carla