Thursday, July 9, 2009

DAY 39: Dalhart, Tx - Why Can't We Head North Where It's Cool????




Thursday, July 9 - Dalhart, Tx

Let me tell you about what happened today!
























Yep, nothing much happened!

But we did head out of Colorado today....but not before trading RV war stories with our RV neighbors, meeting new neighbors, fixing one neighbors' air conditioning and finally leaving just before noon.  We met some real nice people at this campground that we hope to see again in the future.  The weather was about 70 degrees when we left Manitou Springs and 108 degrees when we stopped in Dalhart.  Ugh......A difference of about 250 miles and 38 degrees!!  That's just wrong!  We need to turn this bus around and head north......

We landed in Dalhart, Texas.  I've only heard of Dalhart; didn't really know anyone actually lived here.  Let me describe our campground:  It's actually not bad looking; all gravel but clean and smooth gravel and such a good price:  $21 a night and you get free Wifi and cable with 50 amp service.  So, what's the catch??!  Glad you asked cause I'll tell you what the catch is.  Once you step outside, the smell of cows is the first thing you notice.  I mean RIPE cows....UGH.....and then you have to swat off the mosquitos that are smelling fresh meat (that would be ME).....but we have a TREE.....not too many people at this park have a tree, so we are one of the lucky ones.  There is a good breeze cause there's nothing between here and New Mexico to stop it.  It's an interesting place.

Met the guy parked next to us.  He's got to be around 90 and in a Blue Bird coach that was built in 1984.  Classic guy to match his classic coach.   His name is Don Key.  Now, like he told me, don't try and say that real fast.........oh, go ahead........too funny!

I'm attaching a few pictures I took from the RV today on the road here.  You know you're back in Texas when the ant mounds are the size of small hills and I took the picture of the clouds to show what 108 degree clouds look like (I was bored; what can I say??!).  It's been awhile for us.

That's about it.  Murphy is sitting here in my lap watching me type and Chuck is wishing he was watching Sci-Fi.  We're a pretty boring group tonight!

Tomorrow we continue heading home......

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back to Texas. Don't you just love the heat! I would turn around while you can. Looking forward to seeing you next week.

Carla

Anonymous said...

Liz, just wanted to tell you that we have so enjoyed following your trip.

Thanks for including us !!!!

Chuck Armstrong

Anonymous said...

Hi guys, the trip was good, the only thing bad was that my son in las got a ticket in Vernon, how do you like that? Welcome to Tx!! Well, I am here "Cedar Hills) South of Duncanville where my sisters live, and we've been having a good time. Keep me posted on whatever you guy do, and welcome hell!!

Israel

Anonymous said...

Liz, Ed and I used to live 50 northeast of Dalhart. Our first experience living in Texas. Any wonder I told him I would not live in Texas when I retired. Fortunately, northeast Texas is quite different. Now we have the chicken smell. Ed used to drive a truck that dumped feed at feed lots like those you were smelling. The flies were just horrible. They stuck to everything. Know you'll be glad to be home even though it's been hot and humid here.

Dorothy

Anonymous said...

I almost died when I saw your pictures!!!!!!!!! I am attaching mine from Sept. 1997....see any similarity????????? This was our first trip over Independence Pass. We had moved to Glenwood Springs so our trip took us down Glenwood Canyon (I-70) east to Vail then south to Leadville, then over the Pass to Aspen and "down the road" home!!!! I know all the spots y'all saw and you are so right at how beautiful they are!!!!

Sorry you came home to this Texas furnace!!!!

Love to both of you!
Glenda

Anonymous said...

Oh Liz - you are better than a tv comedian!!! love your messages.
Jacquetta

Anonymous said...

I want you to keep going...your travel experiences are so neat and interesting. But
I know you will be glad to be home....nothing
is as good as your own bed. Thank you for
sharing your funny times..I really enjoyed them.
ant ellie