Saturday, July 11, 2009

DAY 41: Mt. Vernon, TX - Home Sweet Home...





Saturday, July 11 - Mt. Vernon, TX

Well folks, we're home.  Yep, we pulled the rig into the neighborhood this afternoon around 5:00 pm and were greeted by happy neighbors who helped us get settled in.  Even made dinner for us (thanks Kim!!!!).  But first, let me tell you how the day went on the road....

We slept in a little this morning; our last morning of the adventure; and finally got on the road around 9:30.  We said goodbye to Wichita Falls and headed to Dallas to see Mom and Dad for a few hours.  Easy drive; Chuck slept most of the way (I think the lull of the engine just puts my boy right to sleep...).  At one point, he woke & decided to make a bathroom run to the back of the RV which usually isn't a problem; however, he picked the time I was about to turn from South to East.  Yep, I tried yelling back to him to "hang on", but he couldn't hear me.  I made a cloverleaf turn and heard some racket and a lot of "talking" coming from the back.  Couldn't tell what he was saying or who he was saying it to, but I think I have a pretty good idea.  Anyway, he finally made his way up front looking a little disgruntled and simply said, "What was that???"

I also find it interesting that we made it 6000 miles in the RV, 3000 miles on the motorcycle and never had to use my horn once.  I get into Dallas and I have to use it not once, but twice! People cutting me off everywhere.  One would think they would be a little intimidated by my size, but NO, they were daring me to hit them. Errrrrrrrr......Anyway, stopped and had a great visit with Mom and Dad and then headed home on the final 2 hour stretch. 

We get home to find the air conditioning is not working in the house.  Ugh......like its not hot enough......poor Chuck, he being an A/C guy, hot, tired, and having a lot of trouble walking today, was about at his wits end.  He and two of our neighbors were up in the attic trying to figure out what was wrong with the house A/C......He finally yelled down to me to call Jon-Wayne A/C (you got to love the name....only in East Texas); a local air conditioning company.  About this time, I inform him the bedroom side of the house isn't working either.  Fan is blowing, but nothing cool is coming out.....the thermostat said it was 93 degrees in the bedroom.   It was even hotter in the rest of the house.  So he grabs his gages and heads to the other side of the house to check the unit.  After quite a bit of time and checking everything, it was determined that the thermostat was left in the "fan" position instead of "Cool".  Oops.....

And if that wasn't enough, now the back A/C in the motorhome isn' t coming on.  The front one is working great, but can't get the RV bedroom one to come on.  That is SO not what he wanted to hear.......I think it was about this time that I said, "See, I told you we should have headed north!".  and he replied with, "Yes, I should have listened to you."  I asked for that statement in writing.........I'm still waiting for that.  Turns out, a breaker was flipped and it was as simple as flipping it back. YEA!!!

Anyway, we had such a great evening with our wonderful neighbors, Mike, Kim and their son Uno (dog); Troy & Becky (Godparents of Murphy); Steve and Kris and their kids Whitney & Bailey (dogs).  All of these great friends helped us be able to make the trip we did and be gone the amount of time we were.  Mike and Kim fertilized the yard while we were gone; Troy & Becky picked up our mail; mailed it to us and kept an eye on the house; and Steve and Kris and their son Dylan mowed our yard every week (sometimes twice a week) as well as fed and watched over our elderly dog Callie and our cat Kruger.  They even cleaned up our house while we were gone.  How many people have neighbors like that???  We are so blessed.

So you see folks, its always nice to travel and see places you've never seen before, but its equally as nice to return home to people who care about you, watch over you and love you.

Thank you to our WONDERFUL neighbors who always give 200% to Chuck and I.  We love you all very much...

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are home too - sounds like a wonderful place to be with your neighbors and kids and lovely little animals, etc. Who is the pretty girl in white blouse and handsome man? Kiss Murphy, Callie and Kruger for me. While we were gone to Walla Walla and Pendleton last week we left Bo at the vet's. So hard to leave him but he would have been miserable and so would we have been and worried about him constantly left in a motel room. We are driving to Boise June 19 to visit with my sister/husband and have to leave him again!!!! Not good!!!!

love, Jacquetta

Anonymous said...

"Welcome home Liz. I followed you ever step of the way. It was a wonderful
trip."

Jean Ann

Anonymous said...

Glade you Guys made it back home safe and sorry about all of the A/C problems. Again thanks for making us part of your journey......we've enjoyed it immensely.

Chuck

Anonymous said...

"Great seeing you guys this weekend. Happy to have you home. Sorry you have to
deal with the heat ! Scorcher today."

Mike

Anonymous said...

Welcome home!! I have thoroughly enjoyed your trip!

Chuck Hamilton

Anonymous said...

"Welcome home! Did you find my gift?"

Tiffany

Anonymous said...

Welcome back!

Sounds like you had a wonderful vacation!
I haven't even opened the EPPOA checkbook. I'm working today at P.I. but if you
need it, Bob's hanging around the house.
Talk to you soon,
ss

Anonymous said...

Liz: Its good to be home right? Be it ever so humble, theres no place like home. Yes you do have wonderful neighbors. Of course I am a little biased when it comes to that wonderful daughter and son-in-law of mine. (Kim & Mike). That trip was awesome, and I am sure you will never forget all the beauty of our country. Now you have to see the Northeast. The fall is a beautiful time to go there. Anyway glad you are home safe and sound. Thanks again for the wonderful travelogue. You made everything so memorable. Now get a good rest and plan your next adventure.

Take care and God Bless

Betty Faber

Anonymous said...

Well, Errr................ (copied from a writer friend of mine) I kept looking for that big bus to pull up in front of my house and it didn't. You are a chicken. You used the horn twice and it stressed you so much, you couldn't stop. Its ok. I will recover at some point in the near future. Glad you enjoyed yourself and home safe.

Sherrie

Anonymous said...

I am doing well. Headed to Florida on Sunday morning. Still doing ClubCorp. Bid on a FAA deal that would be awesome and help me retire, but still waiting to see.

Well, I had all the trees in the back yard trimmed last month and all the ones out front will be trimmed next week. The neighborhood trees are.... well, its probably good that you didn't come but I would have loved it if you had.

I so enjoyed reading the blog. You are talented. Awesome job. I could see it all happening. You did a great job of showing what happened. I got that Chuck missed your birthday, and he did the blog that day but I am not sure what day that was. When you talked about all the people, I just remembered how easy it was to be friends with you and I wasn't surprised at all how easy your were with others. Mr. Don Key was an interesting fella. I wish you had posted a picture of him. he, he.

Love you miss you, bless you. Come see me. I will be hope August 1st. Lunch?
Sherrie

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful vacation!
I haven't even opened the EPPOA checkbook. I'm working today at P.I. but if you need it, Bob's hanging around the house.
Talk to you soon,
ss

Anonymous said...

Hi Liz and Chuck, Thanks . I read your blog (or-email) at least every other day. What a trip!! Thanks for taking us along. Now I want to go to Manitou, CO.

Mary Lee

Anonymous said...

Hi Liz, it was fun while I was in Tx. pretty hot though. We went through Vernon, but I don't know if you live in that "Vernon" because you mention "Mt Vernon". The Vernon I am talking about is South of Quansah is it? Anyway it's good to hear from you