Friday, June 18, 2010

Still Playing With Paper Dolls After 44 Years.........

June 17, 2010


When I was six, I remember my Mom coming to my room with an after-season Sears catalog, sitting me down and telling me the only story I remember ever hearing about her childhood.   I don't know if she did this because I was her favorite (sorry Deb and James); or l was looking particularly bored that day; or maybe because she, too, had been the youngest in her family and sometimes felt a bit "picked on" from the rest.......whatever her reasons, I have never forgotten that day 44 years ago.....

She told me that when she was growing up in the 30's, her mother would give her the after-season Sears catalog and she would cut her paper dolls out from it.  They didn't have much money growing up, certainly not enough money for paper dolls, so this was a nice substitute.  She thought I might enjoy using the after-season Sears catalog for my own paper dolls.  I remember this little talk like it was yesterday.  I remember thinking how nice it was that she "saved" this idea for me.....and only me.  I couldn't wait to jump in and start cutting my paper dolls out from that Sears catalog, and I didn't stop with just people; no-sirree........I cut out furniture, light fixtures, rugs, and then layed them all out on my bedroom floor in the shape of a house.  I could, and would, spend an entire weekend in my room playing with my Sears catalog cut-outs, only coming out for food and potty breaks.  I would then carefully collect them all up and place them ever so gently in a shoe box until the next time.  Whenever I grew tired of a certain sofa, I simply went back to my after-season Sears catalog and cut me out a new one.  

Those were good times........simple times........tender memories....

Why, I just may get out my Sears catalog tomorrow and cut me out a new bed!






6 comments:

Ant Ellie said...

There is nothing more interesting that a "slice of life with real meaning".....what a wonderful story...thanks for sharing. I am going to think about some of those good memories in my life and jot them down.I really do enjoy your blog....just like you are speaking from your heart...and you tell it so well.
Love you both,
ant ellie

Ant Ellie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ellen said...

Ahhhhhhhhhh

Ellen

Sherrie said...

What a great story. I can see you gently placing the cut outs in the shoe box. You are such a great writer. If only, I could be like you. S

Jacquetta said...

This is so sweet. I loved paperdolls when I was a little girl. Seems like they use to be in the newspaper on the weekend. We didn't have much money so I treasured them for a long time.
Jacquetta

Mary Lee said...

What fun reading your blog! My friends and I were jointly given one of the large pattern books from the local dry goods store. We would pester the lady (owner of the store) to death until the new ones came in, so we could get the old one. Then the fun began. We all got to choose a "paper doll" from the page. We would all end up with a stack of mommies, stack of daddies , boys, girls and a baby. We kept each stack clipped together with bobby pins and they were kept in a, yes, shoe box!! Each stack was used as each paper doll needed a different dress, etc. to wear. Such as dress for church and shorts for play. We played with them and had our favorites from each stack. Then we would have a trade day, and a favorite paper doll could be traded, maybe one for three others. I never cared for real paper dolls that others might have. I thought ours were the best.

We are still in Austin and are coming home tomorrow. So very sorry we missed Sat. eve. I want to hear all about it.

Mary Lee