Friday, August 6, 2010

DAY 37: HOT GRIZZLY!!!! We Saw A Bear Today!!!!


DAY 37:  Estes Park, CO - August 6, 2010


Holy Toledo...........We Saw Our First Bear Today!!!!  

As we were cruising down the road, having just left our campground, I remembered I had forgotten my camera.....so as I was slowing down to make a U-turn, low and behold, a black bear crossed the road right in front of us!!  Just my luck I didn't have my camera which is usually a permanent fixture around my neck.  DANG!!!!!  I went on past where he had crossed the road, made my U-turn and pulled to the side of the road, frantically looking through the dense trees for my first black bear....I have 1800 cc's on this massive piece of metal I'm riding on, so I knew I could outrun him if need be......when I saw a man through the trees and across the narrow river running in the opposite direction......I'm thinking he probably saw the bear too....or maybe the bear saw him??!!!   Exciting day!!!!!  (The picture above was obviously not taken by Liz......but it COULD'VE been!  Shucks.....)


We retrieved the camera back at the RV and headed out of Estes Park to Loveland, about 25 miles away.  This is a beautiful drive through Big Thompson Canyon with lots of hairpin turns, curves and massive rocks surrounding us...just my kind of road.  As a bonus, we have a roaring river that parallels the road the entire way!  

As we arrive in Loveland, Lucky Liz sees a beautiful Goodwill store.  Could the day get any better????  First a bear and now a Goodwill store???  Oh happy day!!!   This makes Goodwill Store #3 so far on this journey.....








We did our shopping, had a nice lunch, at which time we see the looming black 2:00 clouds coming our way......well, of course they are........we are the Rainmakers afterall.......  Fortunately, we made it the 25 miles to Estes Park without being pounded by rain or hail.....YET......  We are now riding under massive storm clouds, thunder roaring in the background and my passenger, Chuck, saying "We'll never make it......we'll NEVER make it".....   We pull up to the RV with 4 minutes to spare.......and then the daily rains came.....30 minutes late at 2:30!!!! This has just been our lucky day all around (well....with the exception of not having my camera for the bear...).

Oh ya, I'm still wearing my coonskin hat everywhere I go.....it keeps my ears warm and Chuck says its sexy!!

7 comments:

Israel said...

Wonderful report Liz, but how in the world you go places without a camera?


IsraelI

Ellen said...

If you had your camera, you would not have seen the bear - that's the way it works!

I hope you will make a list of all your GW deals and post.

Ant Ellie said...

That was a male bear at the table waiting for service....and what is the holdup??? He isn't praying cause his eyes aren't closed.....and he doesn't have ADHD because he is waiting patiently....

Sounds like you are having super mornings and risky afternoons. Bears and goodwill stores....how good can you get? enjoy.

ant ellie

Marlene said...

We need you rainmakers back here in Texas! lol

Jeanette said...

Chuck is funny, thinking your coonskin cap is sexy!!!!! ha! ha!

jacquetta said...

Love the hat!

Jacquetta said...

The yo-yo's in the campground are just jealous! Wear and be proud!