Thursday, August 19, 2010

DAY 49: Following the Bouncing Ball...Oh Wait...That's Chuck's Helmet..

DAY 49:  Spearfish, South Dakota - August 18, 2010

Ahhhhh......with laundry day behind us; and new trike tire day complete, we had time to actually cruise around Spearfish, South Dakota today!

FUNNY CHUCK SAYING FOR THE DAY:

"You know Liz, these mining men have lived here all their life......they have most likely never left this area and seen the world....why, I bet they've never even been in a Sears store."

One of our first stops today was by accident............turned out what appeared to be a cool road to a "summit" turned out to be an "Active Mine Area"......you know, where they blow stuff up!  That's what the BIG red sign behind us says, along with STAY OUT.....and as you can see by the picture above, we have wandered off the paved road and onto a dirt road, for which Chuck "moaned" the entire time.......ok ok.......so maybe he had a right to.....afterall, he had just washed the trike......but like I always say, you'll never see what you're not suppose to see if you don't wander off the beaten path!

We saw a couple gorgeous waterfalls.........
















petted a cute dog......

















and then headed out of the canyons back into town.

Soon after arriving back into town, I feel Chuck wrestling around behind me (I figured he was just going after some more of his Sweet Tarts he has stashed back there...) when all of a sudden, I hear the most awful sound in the microphone earpiece of my helmet.........Now, I must stop here and say that I know it's not always "All About Liz", but I've got to tell ya, it felt like a bear had just wrestled the helmet away from Chuck and stomped on it.   I look in my side mirror just in time to see Chuck's helmet bouncing on the service road.........Fortunately, Chuck was still on the bike, but for some reason, he had taken his helmet off; intercom still connected to mine, and it slipped out of his hands....thus, what I was hearing was the sound of each bounce of the helmet as it hit the pavement.  OUCH!  I quickly made a U-turn as I see cars dodging the bouncing ball until it finally lands in the ditch.  Other than many, many new scratches and the intercom dangling vicariously from the side of the helmet, the helmet was still intact.

As punishment for dropping the helmet, I made him color my hair tonight (he's never done this before).......I think it turned out good, but halfway through drying it, I blew a breaker and now my blow dryer won't work, so I'm not completely
sure........You'll find out tomorrow.......

4 comments:

ant Ellie said...

Be sure and tell us about how the touch up root stuff works.....I have seen
it and it sounds super cause it is the roots that grow out and make you
look crazy....so let us know how it works. that is beautiful country and
waterfalls...how about the weather...is it cool?
ya'll be careful
ant ellie

Stu said...

Liz can I give you a different email address for the Blog and all of our communications. Lapleader@yahoo.com is the best address for me. The address I put on Facebook isn’t my primary one but this one is. I have now had it since 1988. The Internet was so exciting then at 14.4 mbps lol . I can’t believe I have had it that long but I can always use it no matter where I am or who I connect with.
I love your writing Liz and I know you and Chuck had a great time in Colorado. I hope this finds you both resting and relaxing.
Always,
Stu

Lisa said...

Ask Chuck if he can work me in for color and cut around lunch tomorrow? You guys are having way to much fun! Do you remember me telling you about the guy that broke my heart 3yrs ago this Sept? Well, he made contact on Face Book. I started talking to him, but I got to tell you, I am wondering what he wants! I’m not trying to tell you guys to come home early, but just how long is this adventure going to last? LISA

Cynthia said...

How are you doing up in the Dakota's.... ??? I'm still readying your blogs.. be glad when you get home next month.. or sooooooo..:) hello to chuck for us."