Monday, September 20, 2010

DAY 83: Nascar Liz......I'm Flattered!!

DAY 83:  Wolf Creek Pass, Colorado - September 20, 2010

Liz Driving = Nascar
Bet you didn't know my driving has been compared to Nascar, did ya??  Well, it would appear that I have had several comments on my Blog lately regarding my fantastic driving abilities.....you know, how I'm able to take curves on a dime and photograph passing scenery at the same time!   Here's some of the comments I've received: "Yeh, we all sit around waiting to see what you screw up/crash/bend/run over/drop/get into next...it is like an accident waiting to happen....kinda like Nascar only better" (I liked the "only better" part the best!) or "I think you are one blink away from a major disaster..And poor Chuck, white-knuckling it the whole time. Maybe he figures "Hey, we all have to go sometime"........(Ah, Chuck is lovin' it!)

Actually, I'm kinda flattered.......I've never been compared to Nascar before!!

This might be a good time to mention that we drove the Wolf Creek Pass today....A-W-E-S-O-M-E ride!!  Harvey, the older gentleman who owns the campground we're staying at here in Pagosa Springs, told us about a COOL side road off the Wolf Creek Pass that we HAD to take today.  So off we went.  Of course, the first thing I needed to do was put it on cruise control so it would leave my hands free to take pictures.......(that's a helpful hint....you're welcome!)  Harvey had told us it was a dirt road on the left just past a scenic overview.  Since there were only 57 scenic overviews on Wolf Creek Pass, we were really paying attention for that dirt road on the left.......when Chuck and I both spotted what we thought was our road..........we crossed over 2 lanes of oncoming traffic and found ourselves heading UP on a Runaway Truck Ramp......obviously not our dirt road.

After getting off the Runaway Truck Ramp, we got back on the highway continuing to look for that infamous dirt road on the left.  Finally........after I believe the 53rd scenic overview, we see our road!!  We were so excited (well, Liz was.....Chuck was grumbling about the dirt road) to be heading up, up, up to the top of this mountain.  The temperature outside went from about 69 degrees to a coooool 54 degrees at the top!  Ahhhhhhh........it was incredible.

Lovely day.......our last day in Colorado.  I have to admit I'm going to miss beautiful Colorado and traveling in general.  It has been an awesome ride! 

Thought I'd include some pic's on what our eyes to yours saw today.  









6 comments:

jacquetta said...

Beautiful country!!! Love the dogs in the "windows"!

Ant Ellie said...

The Blueness of the sky, the tall mountains, trees straight and tall with vibrant colors....and then the
truck with the dogs head sticking out.....what wonderful pictures.....probably infinitely better in person.
Love ya both...have fun.
ant ellie

Judy Boyles said...

I am sorry you’re ending your trip….It has been an awesome summer for me. Living your vacation, in a way I could never do on my own. I really appreciate your including me in your travelers J

Israel said...

Awesome pictures Liz, Thanks!!!!

Israel

Sharon said...

Awesome pics! You are in one of my favorite part of the good 'ole U.S.of A!
Travel safe on your trip home!
ss

Stu said...

GREAT job in Photoshop Liz but I was afraid to point out that you re in an Indy car not a NASCAR.
I still enjoyed it though.
Stu