Saturday, November 13, 2010

Child of Mine - Chapter 2

CHAPTER 2


JACQUELYN "ELIZABETH" CARVER


Thank goodness our precious little munchkin outgrew that cone head of hers.......

I was blessed beyond belief when I was able to "nanny" little Jacque most of the first year of her life.  It wasn't until many years later I would learn the difficult news that I could not have children of my own, so what a precious gift God gave me to allow me this experience and opportunity.

Aside from having a set of lungs on her that could shatter glass when she screamed, she was a pretty bright little princess.  She was walking at 7 months; hamming it up for the camera at 8 months and her first word was said at 9 months.  Unfortunately, that first word wasn't Mommy, Daddy or even Aunt Liz.......it was S?*!T..........Errrrrrrrrrrr

Fast Forward 10 years.
Jacque a week before the accident....

Another unforgettable moment......this time, it was a Tuesday morning, February 27, 1990.  I was now blond and at work when I got a call from Debbie......she was upset.....something about Jacque, who was now in the 4th grade, getting injured at school.......headed to the hospital.  I figured she had fallen off the slide and broken her arm or maybe needed stitches......but when I heard she was being Care Flighted to the hospital, my heart stopped.   I remember saying a quick prayer.......leaving work then picking Mom up before making the hour long drive to Ft. Worth.  I remember speeding down the highway staying in contact with Debbie; hearing the strain in her voice.....trying to put the pieces together of what happened......speeding faster and faster the closer I got to Ft. Worth.

It was as if I was transformed from the car to suddenly being in a hospital private waiting room with Debbie, David and Mom with the doctors telling us our freckle-faced, petite 10 year old Jacque needed emergency brain surgery, as her injuries were serious and life threatening.

I don't remember much after hearing those words........

It was again, a moment in time Liz will never, ever forget.........

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Liz, I will also never forget that day at work when you receieved the call... I have always counted Jacquelyn's amazing recovery as one of God's miracles I have witnessed. (Staci)

jacquetta said...

O Liz, what a beautiful little girl. Don't know if I want to hear more. love you, J

Cynthia said...

I woke up turned on my computer and read this story and now I'm on pins and needles.. can't wait till the next one.

Ant Ellie said...

It is painful even to recall all that Jacque has been through....but she is really a fighter.
If I were a betting person, I would put my money on her. those pictures are so cute.
thanks for sharing.
ant ellie