Tuesday, March 22, 2011

"Want To See The Statue of Liberty? Google-Image It Instead...."

March 22, 2011, New York, NY


DAY 7

I must admit, this hasn't been one of our "better" days..........at one point this morning, we started "turning" on each other.....and I must also admit, it was mostly my doing.

The day started off just dandy....we actually saw sunshine coming through the window and were charged and ready to get the most out of our day.  While we were waiting on the tour bus to leave, Jacque and Debbie decided to scoot into a pharmacy across the street to buy Jacque some gloves while Ellen and I stayed on the bus drinking our coffee and eating our bagels.

Within just a few minutes, we hear the engine of the bus start up....then the bus started moving....then I see Ellen running down the aisle of the bus yelling, "Stop the Bus....Stop the Bus...." since Deb and Jacque weren't on yet and we had their tickets.   As the bus came to a quick halt, I spilt my coffee on myself, my bagel bite fell out of my mouth, my gloves hit the floor and slid under the seat.......then I hit my head on the low ceiling as I tried to get up....things were going downhill quickly.  About the time I got halfway down the aisle with all my crap, we see Debbie and Jacque running across the street towards the bus.....
See any Happy people in line for the ferry??  Nope!

We arrived at our first destination.....Statue of Liberty Ferry.  I wish I could find the words to describe the lines to this attraction.....but let me just say that there were two lines:  the "HAVE'S" and the "HAVE NOT'S"......We were in the "Have Not's" line.  Even though we had tickets purchased days ago, we were considered in the "non-reservation" (aka..Have Not's) line which meant it took us 5x longer to get to the boat.  We stood in a frigid, biting, bone-chilling and shivering line for 2 1/2 hours before getting to the boat.  This is where things started going downhill quickly between us girls.   After being passed by for the fifth time by the "Have's", I thought we should move the barricade that was preventing us (the Have Not's) from moving forward.  I was, unfortunately, alone in this assessment with my sisters.  However, all 1,000 people BEHIND us thought it was a great idea......we would have been heros if we had moved forward with this idea!

I was getting more deranged by the minute.....I was COLD, FRUSTRATED, IRRITATED....and really couldn't have cared less to see the Statue of Liberty by this point.  It was incredibly unfair what they were doing to the "have not's" and I just wanted to leave....but we already had too much time invested in this fiasco.   We finally did arrive at the Statue of Liberty, but only after going through security, taking off our coats, scarves, watches, bags, cameras, belts, jewelry.....then getting redressed.  We spent all of 15 minutes at the Statue of Liberty.

I would just like to take this opportunity to "thank" our radical muslim friends for all the "fun" you caused us to experience today.........

Once we were back on the tour bus, we had Ms. Dragonbus as our Tour Guide.  Here is what she said, "Ky është vendi i ndërtimit të parë kryeqytetin e Amerikës, kuXhorxh Uashington u inaugurua si president."  Yep, we had no idea what she said either......but we did hear the words "George Washington" somewhere in there....Forgive me for thinking I lived in America and expected American tours to be in English......errrrrrrrrrrrrrr


Anyway, we did finish up the day with a fun ride in a rickshaw with Ellen sitting in my lap to the theatre to see "Chicago".....It was outstanding and we laughed the whole way as we dodged past the taxi's, red lights and 10,000 pedestrians.........or, as Ms. Dragonbus would say it, " là tuyệt vời, anh yêu ..... chỉ tuyệt vời!"

5 comments:

Regina said...

Hey girlfriend - sounds like one lousy day! What is that really cool statue of the man reaching for the hand of the woman in the water?

My "vacation" a couple of weeks ago was similarly lousy. I took the kids down to southern Germany for a week of skiing/snowboarding with several friends and their kids. Poor Connor - first run of the first day falls and breaks his left wrist. Erin, second run of the second day, fell and broke her left wrist. So there you have it......sometimes vacation just sucks!

I love you and am totally living vicariously thru your blog!!

Denise Kohler said...

Oh that was hilarious !!! You can make every day life situations so interesting to hear about ! You guys have a wonderful and safe rest of your trip. Tell Debbie hello for me and you guys be careful in that crazy city. Lots of nuts and weirdos in that neck of the woods. And I agree about those dang ( I wanted to use a more colorful word, but thought I had better not show my tacky side ) muslims. Isn't it annoying all we have to go through because of them. Not Fair ! Looking forward to hearing more of your journey !
Denise

Judy Boyles said...

‘Nice’ place to visit but I wouldn’t wanna live there?....?

Thanks,

Judy Boyle

ant ellie said...

Ya'll are something else......it is so much fun to read about your escapades.
love you all, ant ellie

Jeanette said...

Did you get to be on Good Morning America? I didnt see you ,lol