Monday, July 18, 2011

DAY 15: PINCH ME

July 18, 2011, Buena Vista, CO (Cottonwood Pass)
TEMP:  64 degrees at Summit


As my Ant Ellie would say.....PINCH ME.

Today was almost beyond words.......I've been sitting here looking at my computer screen trying to find the words to describe to you the beauty these blue eyes of mine have seen today......

We drove from Buena Vista west through the Cottonwood Pass.......In miles, less than 40 each way....but took us about 5 hours to do......mostly cause Liz stopped at each corner and snapped pictures....but also to stop; turn the engine of the motorcycle off and listen to the quietness of the forest; take a huge breath and smell the trees......

It reminded me of visiting Grandma's in Alabama as a child.......Although I didn't much like staying at her house in the woods cause she had outdoor plumbing and monster-sized crickets......I distinctly remember the "smell" of the pine trees and the crispness of the air.  As I recall, my Grandma was 1/2 a step under sainthood and did her best to make all of us pesty city grandchildren as comfortable as possible.  And those memories came flooding back to my mind as I closed my eyes and breathed in a smell I would kill to have in a bottle.

We played in the snow today; we met a lovely couple from Allen, Texas where Chuck's son, Troy and his family live, up at the top of the Collegiate Mountains; we visited with our campground neighbor Tom from Albuquerque tonight who lost his wife of 52 years to cancer 9 years ago, has no children, no siblings, no family whatsoever.......and he's lonely.  You could see it in his eyes and hear it in his voice. I hope we all can remember Tom when we start wishing our life different from what it is.....

It was a splendid, breathtaking very......very blessed day.

9 comments:

Kathy said...

Beautiful. I’m saving that photo of the clouds. That just might have to be a painting someday!! I might need to meet Tom. We are in the same ‘only kids’ and ‘no kids’ boat! It is weird, to put it mildly….and yes it can be lonely. I can’t imagine being married for 52 years and then losing a spouse like that. Bless his heart.

Small world, isn’t it? God just orchestrates those little ‘coincidences’, I think. I also think that must be a great joy and really a little fun break from all the other complicated things He must handle!! He must really get a grin when he bumps people into each other in strange places! J

Well carry on……and keep writing those cute blogs!!
Love it!
K

Judy Boyles said...

You are a poet! May God Bless you and Chuck!

Thanks,

Judy Boyles

Israel said...

You guys look good, and having a good time as usual!!!

Israel

Lulu Mae said...

AWWWWW what a wonderful life... My heart aches for man has NO ONE I cant imagine that type loneliness he needs live in senior housing everyone is like family here.......Its odd how smells can bring back memeories.. To this day everytime I smell fresh paint i vividly remember the the aunt Jemima we had cut from wood an painted for our moms in Kindergarten??

Jackie said...

Hey Friend....I look forward to your Blog each day...your words and pictures inspire me at times, tickle me at times, your praises for the beauty God has left on the earth for us to enjoy deepens my love for Him....perhaps as much as anything I enjoy the joy you and Chuck convey to all your Blogetts as you venture to so many places.....tanks again for including us....
I'm in Tn...Joe is in TX....will be back there soon.
love to you and Chuck
Jackie

Tom and Mary Lee said...

Precious pic of u guys!! So glad u are having such a great time and experiencing many of God's blessings.

Mary Lee

Ant Ellie said...

We all need those reflective, nature filled days and reminense (not spelled right).
Love to both. ant ellie

Bev said...

Thanks for the post on Murphy's Mom about the man you met named Tom. I needed that.

Sherrie said...

Geez! The pictures are so beautiful and you both look so happy and I am really, really, really wishing I could some see you.

Sherrie C. Wilson