Monday, August 1, 2011

DAY 28: I HATE Our Campground......HATE HATE HATE!!

DAY 28:  July 31, 2011,  Steamboat Springs, CO
TEMP:  80 Degrees


Today we said "Good-Bye" to Grand Junction and their weird street signs and "Hello" to Steamboat Springs......

Unfortunately, it didn't go "quite" like I had planned......

First off, we couldn't find the campground......the GPS sent us straight thru town, dodging all the little shoppers crossing the street.....waaaaay past the other side of town into countryside and a sign that said "Absolutely Nothing - Next 22 Miles"....I must tell you, it's not easy turning 52' of metal around on a 2-lane road.......but it CAN be done....

Finally made it to the campground.......I HATE HATE HATE this campground.  It's expensive, dirty and weirdly layed out.....They put us in a back-in site (we reserved a pull-thru) next to Jethro and Lucille with their underwear hanging on the line.  They gave us 30 amp service (we reserved 50 amp) and then when I questioned (nicely, I might add) the lady at the front desk, she reluctantly moved other people around a bit and got us a pull-thru w/50 amp service and then ACCUSED me of lying about telling them we needed 50 amp/pull thru's!  Unbelievable.  


Due to the above, I decided to head out and find a different campground.  Evidently this is a popular tourist trap town and I had no luck.   So when I got back from scouting us out a new place to no avail, we had to move the RV to the new pull-thru spot that the lady so "graciously" found for us, and Chuck directs me in facing the wrong direction to hook up the utilities.   So I had to back it back out and down the little (tiny) aisle that we were located on, and place it going the right direction.  Once I had it all in, he discovered we are in the wrong site.  We should be two sites over......Needless to say, we had a few choice words out in front of the whole park.....AGHHHHHHHH

And thats where we are now......in the WRONG site......facing the RIGHT direction listening to the thunder and rain that arrived earlier this evening......Oh ya, a month ago, this campground FLOODED and everyone had to be evacuated.........AGHHHHHH

12 comments:

Regina said...

Okay my dear friend - some perspective - yes, a very frustrating day all the way around. And it's especially irritating and disconcerting when one tries very hard to be honest and upright all the time and have someone accuse you of lying, esp about something that's an important detail. However (insert comma here) you are on vacation in one of our most beautiful states; you have the $$ and freedom to travel often and well; you and Chuck love each other and are together and making countless wonderful, amazing memories; you have your health and Chuck's hanging in there. Enough said - every time I need to get my big girl panties on now I think about the mission trip to Romania my youngest son Connor and I made this summer. The Romanian gypsies asked for land like everyone else was being given (the whole country was divied up after the Russians left) and the government gave them land - the landfill!! These poor people literally live on everyone else's trash. Their houses, their clothes (to include their children's clothing) are all made of stuff others have thrown away - and in a poor country like Romania, when it's thrown away it's been used hard. One of our teens, a 15 yr old girl, had picked up a little one, about 18 mos or so old, and thru a translator the mom of the babe asked the girl if she liked her baby. The teen replied yes and the mom told her she could keep him because she had 2 other kids. Life expectancy is 1:5 for children so the parents refuse to be affectionate or get too attached to their kids - it's too hard. Liz, it was such a heart-rending experience - not just there at the dump but overall.

Hang in there dear friend with life's many frustrations - you had quite a cascade there! I love you!

moi

ps - please know it's me - i'm NOT trying to shame you or make you feel bad for your legitimate frustrations - but sometimes a different perspective helps us get over the anger and frustration quicker and easier. I love you!!

Israel said...

Sorry about all that Liz, I know it can be difficult. Hope you have better luck next time.

Israel

Georgia and Hal said...

I wish I had known you were going to be there so we could have hooked you up with Jeff. We will be there in about 3 weeks. We should have scheduled our stays at the same time. Jeff works at the Catamount golf course outside of Steamboat but since he mows greens etc. even if you found it he would probably be a long way out on the course.

gg

Cynthia said...

Lord what a day you had.. bless your sweet heart.. I hate it so bad for you.. sounds like it could be like the one we were in at Lubbock.. it was so horrible.. hot and everyting was dead... so depressing
I could have cried..

I hope the babies gave you lots of sugar for all you went thru.. including CHUCK.. :) ha
Maybe the next place will make up for it..
I love you all,
Cynthia

Lulu said...

Oh well we all have bad days now an again I pray things get better an u get back to the JOY u usually have ..IN JESUS, I am not afraid of Life's Storms BECAUSE HE IS IN MY BOAT!

Dan Bush said...

Note to self..... don't ever go to Steamboat Springs in the coach!

;-D

Mary Lee & Tom said...

oh my gosh!!!!! You give me great laughs for the day, and I so need them. Thanks. (sorry, if this wasn't supposed to be a laughing one)

Ha, Mary Lee

Margie Champlin said...

TAKE HEART,
IT WILL PASS & GET BETTER! (MY MOTHER'S ADVISE FOR A BAD DAY)
HUGS!
Margie

Ant Ellie said...

Sounds like parking is sometimes a problem......what if I got there pulling a little trailer...it would have
to be light enough to move by hand...cause backing up a trailer is something else. it would have to
be a pull through or else. if they promise you a pull through, can you usually really pull through
slowly so you are o.k. with outlets and not have to back up? Do you ever stay at state parks? or
county parks?

Kathy said...

Oh Liz…..to get a bad report from you, it must be really BAD. I hate to say this, but I love Steamboat..used to have a house there on the mountain with my #2 hubby. It was great then, except for #2 hubby, and the people were friendly then. Of course I was drunk most of the time, I am sad to say. I was in my 20’s so the world was my ‘oyster’. Boy did I get some bad seafood along the way!!!!

So next time, lather your vehicle down with butter and it will slip right into any slot you want. I would be glad to be anywhere right now than Texas….anywhere it’s cool and wet! So I don’t feel ‘too’ sorry for you :) Where to next?
Hugs,
K

Glenda Anderson said...

Get Chuck to fish for this trout dinner while you are in Stmbt.!!!

Glenda Anderson said...

OH, NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS is my former favorite home and I would send everyone there and then y'all drive into the vacation nightmare from_ _ _ _!!!!!!!!!!
Knew they had had horrific flooding nsince their snowfall this year broke ALL records but thought by now it would be better. My brother in SLC told me they were having rain so that usually means it crosses over to Stmbt.
I have some contacts if you want me to make some calls!!!

In the meantime..look westward and 'find' Sleeping Giant Mountain (he's laying down!). Indian folklore about it. Go north to little stop in the road called Clark, CO; then keep going north to Hahn's Peak. Sightseeing is really beautiful!

Expensive?? Uh, yeah, should have mentioned that. But it's cheaper than Vail and Jackson Hole, Wyoming!!!!!!!

Love y'all!!!