Monday, September 5, 2011

DAY 64: "Glad They Had A Subway In This Place....."

DAY 64: Air Force Academy, Manitou Springs, CO
TEMP:  High 78 / Low 48


 Today was our last day in Manitou Springs.......I've got to tell ya; my heart is sad........I love this place; I love these people......I love how I feel when I'm here.  This place will always have a grasp on a special corner of my heart.......

 For our last day here, we decided to do something I've always wanted to do; head on over to the Air Force Academy for a tour.  We loaded up in the Jeep and found our way to the Visitors Center, only after attempting to break-in through the wrong gate.....

And how excited we were when we saw they had a subway system through the miles and miles of Academy.......My feet were already thanking me!!!

And how bummed we were to find out it was the Subway "Fast Food" that was here on the base.....UGH....there actually was NO train subway system......

We proceeded on to the magnificant Air Force Chapel.......

Did you know:

* That the exterior  of the Cadet Chapel, made of steel, aluminum and glass, has 17 pointy spires resembling fighter jets soaring up to the sky.....

* There is a 1,200 seat Protestant chapel, a 500 seat Catholic chapel and a 100 seat Jewish chapel all under the same roof......

* Around the curved steps of the alter are 12 kneelers done in needle-point by officers wives' clubs throughout the Air Force.

* The pews are carved so the end of each pew resembles a
World War 1 airplane propellor.  The backs of the pews are capped by a strip of aluminum similar to the leading edge of a fighter aircraft wing.

* The Jewish Synagogue is shaped like a circle within a square, representing the global mission of the Air Force and the everlasting presence of God.  The surrounding foyer is paved with 1,631 pieces of Jerusalem stone donated by the Israeli Defense Forces.

This was an incredible place; a place of beauty, reverance and awe.  What a priviledge just to be able to enter it.....

And imagine our surprise when we saw THIS as we were leaving......




5 comments:

Regina said...

Hey Girlyfriend! I went on a trip down memory lane (well, what was left of it anyway....) as my first hubby graduated from the Academy and we were married in the chapel! I remember NOTHING about that day! It was awesome to learn that about the chapel. Thank you!

Nyla said...

You have beautful friends because you are beautiful people! I pray for you both and love you! Nyla

Lois said...

Hi Liz, We've been there, but I appreciated your description and the beautiful pictures Love, Lois

Ant Ellie said...

Was that plane one of those stealth planes? How neat! sure looks like an interesting place to visit.
I am not even going to talk about the temps.....it will make me sick! it got two degrees cooler here
due to rain but the humidity ruined it all.....turns it into a steam bath!
take care and have fun. I love you both lots and lots.
ant ellie

Anonymous said...

Sure enjoyed reading your blog of your travels! Nice to meet you y'day!

Eileen
Kellogg's Chem-Dry