Saturday, June 16, 2012

This Is My Pappo.....

June 15, 2012


"A truly rich man is one whose children run into his arms 
when his hands are empty." ~Author Unknown


This Is My Pappo.....

Rumor has it in our family that Dad always wanted to stop having children after the first 2......pretty tough position if you're 3....

Fortunately for me (#3), Mom never listened to Pappo and decided to have that third child anyway.

At birth, he always insisted each of us kids have a nickname, specially named by him.   Debbie, the oldest, got the coolest name "Princess".......James got "Eddie" which he has been trying to shed ever since....and Liz....well, Liz got "Softie", largely due to the fact that I was a rolly-polly fat kid with really soft excessive skin.  And here at the ripe age of 50+, I am still "Softie" to Pappo.

During our teen years, he insisted each of us kids have our own car.  Mine just happened to be a used brown, aluminum engine, station wagon Chevy Vega.  It had cool bucket seats......and required a quart of oil to make it to school and a quart to get home.  But I loved that car.......

In my 20's, I remember the day I told my Pappo I was getting married for the first time.....he told me I was being rebellious.  

He was right.

In my 30's, I remember the day I told my Pappo I was getting married for the second time.....this time he clasped both hands together and placed them in the air as if he was cheering for me.....

He was right.

I've watched my Pappo go from a tough, work-a-holic disciplinarian, to a man whose eyes moist up at the mere mention of his family and the wife he dearly loved.  He's now MY Softie.  

Happy Pappo's Day, Dad



Best Advice My Dad Ever Gave Me:  "Learn to drive a stick-shift"

15 comments:

Mary Werning said...

I was looking at Jim's picture and recognized him right off. You being the grand daughter not sure I know you, Our family all went to the Dallas SDA church. Those were wonderful day. It is nice seeing a picture of Jim.

I remember them well. They were pillar's of the Dallas Central SDA Church when I was a teenager. My parent moved to Texas in 1951. I was 14 yrs old. I moved in 1972, I was married, we moved to Breckenridge, Tx. Mr Husband Harold and my 2 daughters Rebekah and Melanie Werning. The Calloway, Walters, and Werning were part of The Dallas SDA for many years."

Sharon Martin said...

Love him!!! Give him a hug from Little-bit!!"

Cynthia said...

I loved your blog today.. you are so lucky to have your day.. mine passed away back in 78... it's been a long
time and I still miss him so much..

Jack Wallace said...

Wonderful, Thanks!

Beverly said...

Thanks for sharing. If you had not been born, your parents would have missed out on the most precious blessing ever. How about that.

Liz Hurt said...

Wonderful tribute. I miss you. Liz

Leo said...

He is just as remember him! A great guy.

Kathy Rachal said...

Two 'softies' I'd say, what a sweet picture.

Jan and Joe said...

I love this. I still talk to my Dad - he has been gone since 1990. OMG he was an amazing person and more amazing Father and loved by all.

ANT Ellie said...

What a lucky father my brother Jim is! And I too am so very glad he had three children.....three of the
best, most loving and most fun kids a father every had! That picture reminds me so much of my Dad
in the face! And people say that I look like my Mom.....I take that as a very serious compliment.....if I
could only be a tenth of the good woman she was, I would be very lucky.
How did Jim get the name Pappo? Was there a nickname for Dorothy?
I love you all lots and lots. Hope Chuck is getting along well and improving every day.
Love, Ant Ellie

Ellen Darnaby said...

Please kiss him for mew

Colleen Bond said...

Wonderful warm tribute from a wonderful caring daughter! As always- thanks for sharing your personal life with all of us- it is inspiring!"

Barb and Jack said...

Your tribute to your dad was wonderful. Thank God your mother was so strong and had her third child. Chuck should be so so so thankful to her.............ha Your are a special lady.

Nyla said...

How great you still have him to enjoy!!!! love you Nyla

Patricia Perez said...

Tell your Pappo I love him. I remember as a little girl in church deadthly afraid to look at him but when I worked with him at Missionary Tape and Supply he tried to be tough but I could see that "soft" side of him and I learn to love him and accepted his counsel as wisdom wrapped in love.