Saturday, April 20, 2013

Our Wedding.......16 Years Later

It's our 16th Wedding Anniversary Today......


Sixteen years........sometimes feels like a lifetime......other times, like yesterday.  As I type this, he's laying on the couch snoring.....one dog on the top of the couch above him...the other laying on the floor beside him and the cat at his feet......and I'm feeling very blessed right now.


I can still remember every minute detail of our wedding day.  We were married in the amazing garden-setting backyard of our home in Dallas on a beautiful Sunday evening.  The day started off with friends hoisting furniture out of the living room, balancing past the pool and into the garage......My brother and my then 12 year old nephew, Lance (who is now an officer in the Marines), wiring the sound system and my Mom, who was my Maid of Honor, and I getting our hair done by my sweet friend Frosty.  My sister was in charge of everything, including our wedding coordinator that we affectionately named Elvira, as she looked like a funeral director with her jet black hair, super white skin and scary attitude.

Mom was complaining cause her feet were killing her in the shoes she had picked out.....yet she looked amazing.  She painfully talked about those shoes for the next 14 years.  Our dog, Kiki, was our ring bearer and half way down the aisle, decided to make a RUN for it with our rings tied around his neck....so the bride (ME) had to go retrieve him and the rings.  I remember thinking the pianist must have forgotten how to end the last song, "The Lord's Prayer" as I think it went on for 15 minutes and Chuck was starting to weave.  Chuck's Dad (now deceased) gave the opening prayer and my Dad gave the closing prayer.  My Mom (now deceased) stood next to me and Chuck's son, Troy, stood next to him. 

Our wedding vows included me promising "to always put Chuck's garage tools away when I used them" and Chuck promising "to do all the cooking".  The moment we said "I do", a blue bird in the nearby tree starting singing at the top of its lungs and a breeze threatened to blow my veil from my head.  That very moment.....it was magical.....it was right.

And then everyone clapped.

A helicopter then scooped down low over our house and I remember thinking, "Wow, Charlie arranged for a helicopter to take us away...." but I think it was just a police helicopter looking for criminals........after all, we did live in Dallas.

Blessed........awwwww........so very blessed.

A lot has happened in the last 16 years.......good and bad.....funny and sad,  and I'm so grateful for every minute God has given us over that time.

And God-willing, we'll have 16 more.


19 comments:

Ken and Cynthia said...

How beautiful.. I am so touched I could cry.. what a beautiful Wedding
you two had...And it is wonderful so wonderful you are still so happy.. Just like Ken and I...Happy Anniversary to you both..Why don't I know these things ahead of time..
SEE YOU SOON..
Love you so much,
Cynthia and Ken

Ellen said...

Happy Anniversary! Love you guys!

Jeannette said...

Happy Anniversary Liz and Chuck....you looked beautiful, and where did Chuck's hair go? lol
May you have many more good times together, another 16 years more or more.

Love Jeanette

Georgia and Hal said...

Congratulations on 16 Blessed Years!!!!! I would not have recognized Chuck with dark hair if you had not said that was him. You looked beautiful as always. Have a great day!

love ya, gg

Jack WAllace said...

Happy Anniversary!

Grace and peace

Sharon Sehon said...

Ahhhhhh! congratulations! Happy 16th and here’s to many, many more!

BTW: LOVE the hair, you should do that all the time Smile

LOL, ss

Cheryl said...

Love the love..and love you guys so much! I am so blessed you got married...and moved here..so I could be blessed by your friendship and love!!
What an amazing God we have!!

Blessings and Joy!

Cheryl Hood

Gene said...

Congratulations my dear friends.

Cheryl said...

Congratulations to two of the sweetest, most incredible friends God could bless anyone with! Words cannot describe my joy on your anniversary and love for each other!"

Donnita said...

Happy Anniversary!

Joe and Jan said...

Wow - what a great blog!! Love it! Congratulations to both of you. We feel blessed also - still being the best of buddies and loving to be together after 56 years and traveling together in a motor home for 9 of those!

Dick and Bonnie said...

Liz----thanks so much for sharing your wonderful wedding photos with us!!!! You ALL look so beautiful----even the dog looked pretty!!

Happy Anniversary!

Dick and Bonnie

Jackie Devine Carlson said...

Happy Anniversary. Great pics!!!

Chris said...

"Happy anniversary you two!"

Rita Ray said...

Wow....what a story! Happy Anniversary!!!
Thanks for sending.
Rita

Liz Hurt said...

That is wonderful, precious, absolutely spell-binding! I am thrilled for you and Chuck! I know there has been much heartache, but so many wonderful things to compensate. God is good - always. Thank you for a delightful afternoon on your deck. You are the best! Happy Anniversary! Much love, Liz

Carla said...

eally....it was 16 years. Can't believe it!!! Amazing.

Carla

Sandee said...

Awwww. This was so beautiful. I'm sitting here tearing up and Larry is napping. Love you girlfriend. Here's to 16 more. sandee

Tom and Mary Lee said...

Thanks for sharing. Such beautiful pictures & memories of beautiful people!

Mary Lee