Sunday, June 23, 2013

A Chapter Closes.....A New One Begins

June 22, 2013



 "The closing of a door can bring blessed privacy and comfort - 
The opening......terror.
Conversely, the closing of a door can be a sad and final thing - 
the opening a wonderfully joyous moment."
Andy Rooney


Have you ever read a book that you loved......loved to the point you dreaded coming to the end of the chapter?  Chuck and I are living the close of a chapter in our lives today.

Most of you were right there with Chuck and I as we went up and down all 14,000 feet of Pikes Peak on our motorcycle trike....you held your breath as we inched closer to the edge of the Million Dollar Highway in Ouray, CO......and you were right there with us when we were pounded with hail, unexpected snow storms and flooding rains.  You have traveled the country with us......every mile of it....sitting in the lens of my camera.....meeting the amazing people God dropped in our path all along the way.  It's been an incredible journey....like a book you can't put down and dread overwhelms you at the thought of turning the page to find the chapter ending......

We sold the motorcycle trike this weekend.

Chuck and I have turned the page and found a new chapter ahead of us. A blank piece of paper, we are heading into the unknown and I must admit to you....I'm scared....and incredibly sad.  Chuck's health is to the point where the motorcycle trike is being replaced with a wheelchair......our traveling days are over and selling the trike was the last piece of this amazing journey. 

But through all the tears I've shed this week over what selling the trike symbolizes, the most incredible thing happened.  The buyers of our beloved trike are a couple who are starting a chapter of their own where ours left off.  They plan on pulling that sweet trike behind their motorhome and traveling and feeling the freedom....awwww yes......that same wind and smell of pines that we lifted our heads and let hit us smack in the face as we traveled this amazing country and felt God's bubble of protection surrounding us each mile of.

God has blessed us once again......with new friends, Stephen and Pam, the new owners of that Black Cherry colored Honda Goldwing 1800 Motor Trike with the scratch on the back that we got in the Tyler State Park so many years ago........and that managed to do 318 curves in 11 miles on the Tail of the Dragon in N. Carolina.....TWICE......and that never let us down no matter how tough we were on it.  The trike may not belong to us anymore.....but the memories will always be ours.

God speed......Stephen and Pam.......and live the most life you can.....take chances......get off the highway and take the dirt road.....cause that's where you'll find the waterfalls.


Enjoy the next chapter, Stephen and Pam!

19 comments:

Kathy said...

Awwwww.....seeing y'all on that trike brought back good memories for me too....when we were getting to know each other online every day.

I'm so thankful the God still DOES have a bubble of protection around you, guiding you and loving you all the way home. The next phase must be frightening for you both, and sad. You're in my prayers.

Thanks for 'standing up' with me today.
Love,
Kathy

Frosty said...

Oh I'm so sorry. I know how much you loved the trike. I'm sorry for the bad health and not being able to see you. Your in my thoughts and prayers. Love ya. I was at good Vapes Saturday and they told me Chris and Erin got married. Hang in there my friend. I think of you often.xx

Frosty

Denise said...

Aww, dang it Liz, you made me get teary eyed with this one. I know how very hard this has all had to be on you, or at least I can only imagine. I so loved and envied while following your journey's when you were traveling. To this day I've told Benny that I want to get a trike like you had, that that is something I think I could actually drive without tipping it over, maybe. I'm so sorry you're having to go through all of this. And I hate it that Chuck is getting worse. I so wish I could have met him before I brought my parents up here. Chuck just seems like such a neat person. He's a lucky guy to have found you, you're so good to him and take such good care of him. I did want to mention that after I read you story here, that I got a bit annoyed at you. ( just kidding ! ) You mentioned going to N.C. on a trip, and you must have gone through TN. to get there. To think that you two could have stopped by here and we could have had a such a good visit. ha ! Most likely was before we started getting to know each other again online.

Love ya bunches girl friend.
Denise

Dick and Bonnie said...

Dear Liz-----thanks for taking us with you on those many trips. You took us where cars don’t go (unless you are Dick). It was a wonderful journey in every way!!! You were a great driver and navigator I must say----and very brave and courageous. I always knew you were “one strong woman”, just the kind I like. No one will ever call you a ‘sissy girl’.

Dick and I love you both and even though we don’t get to see you since you moved away----you have always been thought of as true friends.

May God bless you now to help decide what you can do to fill up those new blank pages. I know we didn’t buy the gas for all of those trips, but you made us ALL part owner and benefactor of that trike. I know those new owners ain’t seen nothin’ yet.


Love, Bonnie

Nicki & Chuck said...

Dearest Liz & Chuck. At first I was so saddened as I read your words and looked at the pictures. Then it hit me that the two of you had such an awesome experience built so many wonderful memories. I would think as time goes on you will look at those pictures and have countless hours of wonderful remembrances of friends made, sight seen, and love of adventure shared. Sometimes the Cycle-Of-Life is not gentle, but we must all travel that path and it is the wonderful memories that will carry us through.

Love you both,

Chuck

Jack WAllace said...

Thax for sharing this. I love your writing. Pls write a novel.

Grace and peace

Marlene said...

Darn you Liz, you made me tear up again! Tears that are a mixture of happiness, joy, and saddness. I enjoyed living vicariously through you and Chuck's journey. Sad that now he has to use a wheelchair but glad he has you! Sending you lots of positive energy(that you already have abundantly) and hugs. Love, Marlene

Ellen said...

Sounds like Miss Cherry went to a good home. You and Chuck will be OK. Love U both tons!

Ken and Cynthia said...

Hi Honeys (my dear dear friends)
I had to stop reading because I started crying.. I'm sad for you
both.. You are such wonderful friends. Although we never get to see you..hopefully we will soon.. we are here so if you can come and see us..
we would love it..
We love you both so much,
Cynthia and Ken

Julie said...

Liz,

This makes me sad. Thank you for being so transparent about your journey. Your past adventures make more sense to me now. They were so much more than just a fun adventure.

Hugs, Julie

Israel said...

Hi Liz/Chuck,I'm sorry about your bike, however all good things come to an end & life changes all the time nothing stays the same. I don't know if I told you that on March 23rd we were on our way to Dallas and the road was very icy, I totaled my truck flipped over, but thank God nobody got hurt, got back to the Springs and on April the 6th I got another truck, I sold my bike and here I am...no problem, God is good in spite of me. Tomorrow 6/24/13 I am on my way to Dallas, I'll stay there for 2 weeks and have a good time. God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Is 46:1


Israel

Liz Hurt said...

This makes me so sad, too. My heart aches.

Stu said...

Beautifully written and the tears carried over to me. God Bless you both.
Stu

Jill said...

I love it! Thank you for sharing
this with me and your story is
So incredible!! God is incredible!!
Love you,
Jill

Helen said...

Just read your lastest Blog and now I
am out of kleenex. We will all look forward to your next adventures
as I am sure you will have them. Give Chuck a hug for me. And
tell my other "whats her name" friend hello. Again, Happy Birthday
Liz. Helen Mc"

Sandee said...

Liz,

This was beautiful! Thank you, Sandee

Sandee Casey

Lulu said...

WOW u can sure bring tears to my eyes an pains to my heart..U have been SOOO blessed.Treasure these memories for ever. I am sooo sorry for Chucks health an the end of this sweet romantic times together. Thats life with its up an downs,,, an we finaly end up in eternity together forever more enjoying the RIDE for ever.. God Bless u both an may Stephen n Pam share their trips with u the way u always have with us......... LOVE U SOO MUCH Lulu

Virginia Smith said...

Soooooooooo glad to have Murphy’s Mom Blog back. Your writing is always such a joy to read!!!

V

Jeanne said...

I have read many of your adventures – maybe not all – and thought you and Chuck would never end your wander lust! I’m glad it lasted as long as it did – as those memories and pictures are etched on your hearts and your brains forever. I am sorry to hear Chuck has traded to the new set of two wheels. I guess you just have to take one day at a time and pray for guidance in those steps. There will be new things for the two of you to do together – you just have to go on a Treasure Hunt and find them. I know you will do that.