Tuesday, August 26, 2014

We Have Arrived.....

August 25, 2014
Amarillo - Salida, CO


We went from 90 degrees to 63 degrees JUST-LIKE-THAT.....


......once I finally made it out of Amarillo.  It is my belief that there is this magnetic force around the city of Amarillo that sucks you back in about the time you think you're out.  Every time....E-V-E-R-Y.....S-I-N-G-L-E.....T-I-M-E I go to Amarillo, I get lost getting out of there.  Yesterday was no different.  FINALLY.....after the 3rd time past the Cadillac Graveyard, we overcame the magnetic pull and floored it out of there.  ~Sigh~

We made it past the Cal Farley's Boys Home in the middle of....SERIOUSLY....no where;


Made it over the Raton Pass that connects New Mexico to Colorado......


And then headed west towards Salida.  We've been all over Colorado in years past, but these was all new roads for us......slamming on the brakes to get a picture of the bison on the side of the road......


And watching the beautiful mountains we love SO MUCH coming into view....(Amarillo bug splat on the window and all)



 Awwwww.........and here we are....safe and sound in Salida, Colorado.


See the big "S" on the side of the mountain?  That's one of many places we are heading today.  It's called Spiral Drive and semi-treacherous......Now that we're in the Jeep and not on the trike, roll the windows up Charlie......we're kicking up some mud today!


14 comments:

Cathy Jeter said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cathy Smith said...

Oh my dearest one, meant to email you yesterday and tell you how I LOVED the post as you were leaving ,especially that sweet pic of Murphy’s face J

Im praying for your trip, all rich experiences and memories

Will miss you terribly …. I like the idea when I know you are just across the lake!

Robin's Nest said...

I am sooooooo excited for you as y'all take on this adventure!!!!! I KNOW you will see God in everything along the way!!!!! I do believe you get a little closer to our Lord when in Colorado...I really do...His radiance SHINES in those mountains and vast lands...My son is doing the same thing you are...just driving and taking it all in..XOXOXOXO

Skip said...

Hi Liz & Chuck: Glad you’re there and made it out of Amarillo. Those signs of N-S-E-W on the compass and directions with arrows for Colorado are exceptionally deceptive and nasty to the experienced traveler! I’m happy you made it to Salida. I enjoy the “travelogue” and hope your visit is refreshingly cool and relaxing! I hope you have a great visit and keep me updated on the latest! Skip

Brent Gardner said...

Love your blog. I hope y'all have a wonderful time.

Brenda Loinette said...

I too absolutely love your blog...just checked it out this morning....know you guys are having so much fun! Love the pictures!!!! Love you! Have a happy day! Thinking of you.

Denise said...

Love Salida!!! If you have time, drive to St. Elmo. Its a little northwest of Salida, not more than an hour. It's a ghost town that has the coolest historical buildings that you could photograph. Tons of hummingbirds at the general store and you have to feed the chipmunks! Also from there you can drive up to Tincup Pass in a 4 wheel drive vehicle...lots of other trails too. Also, you will drive by the chalk cliffs, mount Princeton hot springs, Agnes Valle falls (where the rock slide was last year), etc...
Also, be sure to visit Bongo Billy's, great coffee and treats! It's by the water and bike shop in Salida. Enjoy!!!

Marlane said...

Have a great vacation....and be safe...love you both!

Ellen said...

Maybe Amarillo wants y'all to be permanent residents. We'll come visit...maybe. :)

Ellen said...

Maybe Amarillo wants y'all to be permanent residents. We'll come visit...maybe. :)

Kathy Rachal said...

You're in rare form, I can tell! :) Will we ever see you again? Be careful on that spiral! xoxo K

Kitty said...

Oh, Liz, I'm LOVING this! Feel like I've had a mini-vacation, just reading and seeing your wonderful pics!
Kitty

Elease said...

Love reading about your adventures dear lady. Keep them coming....and have a safe trip!

Skip said...

Hi Liz & Chuck: Glad you’re there and made it out of Amarillo. Those signs of N-S-E-W on the compass and directions with arrows for Colorado are exceptionally deceptive and nasty to the experienced traveler! I’m happy you made it to Salida. I enjoy the “travelogue” and hope your visit is refreshingly cool and relaxing! I hope you have a great visit and keep me updated on the latest! Skip