Saturday, August 30, 2014

What A Difference A Day Makes

 August 29, 2014
Ouray, CO


What a difference a day makes!  Yesterday was rain, snow, sleet and 40 degree temperatures and today.....well, TODAY was 72 degrees and SUNNY!

Murphy took this picture in case you were wondering....
 So, we decided to teach Liz a little bit about how to use her 4-wheel drive gears today.  Chuck surprised me with this Jeep almost two years ago for Valentines Day (thus the red color!) and I have loved every minute of it!  It will go ANYWHERE....climb ANYTHING.....float through EVERYTHING....and today we proved all three of those things!

View of Red Mountain from Brown Mountain
We took a little trail called Brown Mountain that was rated a Class 2, Moderate in difficulty.  That, compared to the Black Bear Pass of yesterday which is Rated 5, EXTREME....we were thinking this was the "perfect" road for Liz to learn how to use the Jeep for what it was intended for.

Brown Mountain Trail
 And at this point, I would like to apologize to our son, Troy, who loaned us his hitch carrier to carry Chuck's scooter on......I "might" have heard it dragging a few times in a couple steep, narrow rocky sections that I read later should have been attempted by an experienced four-wheeler. Sorrrrrry.......

Wildflowers just before the PANIC ATTACK
We are almost to the top of Brown Mountain, above the tree level at 11,500 feet, when everything turns to rock.....lots and lots of rock....and I'm expected to continue on up this incredibly narrow, rocky ledge (I use the term "ledge" loosely...much like the rocks that were occupying that ledge) and I just can't do it.  I stop....I panic....I get that "shifty-eyed" look of "WHAT AM I GOING TO DO?" I inform Chuck I'm backing up......he then gets that "shifty-eyed" look like "YOU'RE KIDDING, RIGHT?".....and I slap that puppy into reverse and down we go.  And this was a Class 2 beginners trail.....
My Passengers
We eventually found our way back down this beginner mountain, headed into Ouray for a little ice cream and people watching after meeting up with our buddy Jim from Florida.....but not before I took a tumble in the middle of town....in front of the world.....chasing Murphy who was chasing a big dog who belonged to a nice couple from California who had to pick me up off the street. (thank GOD there's no pictures of that...)

The 3 Men...Jim, Murphy and Chuck
So we have survived (barely) yet another day in Ouray.  Tomorrow is our last day here and I'm sad to be leaving this little piece of Heaven.  The views are like nothing you can imagine.....it literally takes your breath away.

Murphy & Molly hanging out on the bumper trailer
And the BEST part of today?  I got to spend time with my sister Debbie whose on vacation here too!!! Best part, hands down!! 

So, here's just a few pics from what our eyes saw today.....we are so B-L-E-S-S-E-D.....















14 comments:

Elease said...

You are a brave woman......be safe!!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! This is jerri sue Proffitt. Dont know how to post on this!! Lol.love your pictures!

Jeannette said...

Liz loving the blog.....places I probably would'nt never go in my life time....lol

James said...

Enjoying all your blogs. Have fun

Julie said...

I was just telling my Chuck about this video so glad you emailed it! We LOVE watching and hearing about your adventures. Thanks so much for sharing them.

Julie

Kathy said...

skeery

Ann said...

Unbelievable!!! This is my dare devil friend Liz who lives at the lake!!! She and 4 others took the black bear pass from ouray to telluride in snow,sleet and rain. Had lunch in telluride. Watch her video!!!! Their jeep driver does this all the time!

Ann said...

Liz,
I meant to send video of Black Bear Pass to my dear friend Sally who spends the summer in crested butte. She is terrified of the roads and won't open her eyes!!!! You amaze me!!!! I couldn't do that in a million years!!! Have fun! Ann

gastlysmom said...

oh my gosh this sounds like a blast and since I have wanted a jeep since before I was born, I will live vicariously through you until I get mine !!

John said...

Hey that was amazing, like reading a good book keeping me on the edge of my seat. When I saw that last picture of the real highway I went "whew" after a deep breath ha! I am trying to figure out why the panic attack on a level 2 when you just drove on a 5 in the inclimate weather. I am glad you survived the fall in the street without getting hurt (would love to have a picture of that!!) Have a safe trip home, look forward to seeing you. My best to Chuck, tell him he is a brave man ha!

Love Ya
John

Gene said...

Yep, that's my kinda experience ........ To WATCH!
Your crazy Lizzie girl. Chuck you loosin your mind to trust her that much?????

Terri said...

Holy £€¥#% that was amazing!!!!! You do have nerves of steel. Glad you made it out safely. I miss you so much. Keep having fun.
Love you
Terri

Jo Greenwood said...

Looks like Murphy is hanging with a pretty cool couple! Love the pictures and videos. Have a super trip.

Jo Hanson said...

Enjoy