Sunday, June 24, 2018

GROWING SEEDS: Unexpected Answers

"God delights to increase the faith [or condition the faith-muscle] of His children."


A few weeks ago, a good friend of mine asked to come sit on the dock and talk for awhile.  This wasn't unusual.....we sit together on the dock quite often, catching up with each others lives.....but there was something different in her voice this time.  My heart fluttered when she asked if she could come over.  

I was concerned.



As we sat down, she looked me straight in the eye and said, "The doctor thinks I have aggressive lung cancer."  I just sat there.....trying to process what she just said, staring at this friend who means the world to me....who God gifted me with years ago to help me find and get to know Him....and I let her words sink into my soul.

What do you say when someone you love says these words your heart can't accept?  

She was scheduled to go for more tests in a few days which would tell the doctor everything he needed to know.  Family was notified....a plan would be put into place....and a new challenging chapter was staring her in the face.

"We ought, instead of wanting no trials before victory, 
no exercise for patience, 
to be willing to take them from God's hand as a means."

I sat on the back porch swing a long time that evening after she left.  She had told me her prayer wasn't for healing....it was a prayer of "Oh Lord, if it is consistent with Thy will, may I feel Your hand and have peace in this difficult new chapter."  I repeated her prayer many times in the next few days before her tests, "Give her peace, Father....and if it's consistent with Your will, please heal my friend."

Two days later, she went in for the determining tests.  Many of her friends were fervently praying this same prayer that day.....waiting impatiently to hear the results.  When the news came, my friend wrote: 

"My peace this morning passes understanding.  A typo was made of size on first CT scan.  Follow up in 3 months and no COPD was found as originally thought.  Guess you're stuck with me for awhile longer!!"

"I say - and say it deliberately - 
trials, obstacles, difficulties, and sometimes defeats, 
are the very food of faith."
George Muller

Oh friends.....watch.... and wait....for the unexpected answers of God.

No comments: