Sunday, April 14, 2019

GROWING SEEDS: Jesus, Have Mercy On Me




Time is ticking...one more week before the curtain is torn...the sky grows dark...and our Savior cries, "It Is Finished".  

It was about this time some 2000 years ago that Jesus and His followers were approaching the city of Jericho just before heading to Jerusalem for the final time.  As they walked along the dirt road with the city in sight ahead of them, they passed a discouraged, but hopeful, blind man.  He yelled out over the noise of the crowd, "Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!"

People scolded him for being so loud and annoying....disregarding him as not being important enough to speak to Jesus.  But through the many voices talking, Jesus heard his cries.  He stopped, asked to have the blind man brought to Him, and proceeded to ask him a "Well, duh" question.  "What do you want Me to do for you?" Jesus asks him.

"Lord, I want to see," was his reply.  And Jesus said to him, "Receive your sight; your faith has healed you."

"Of course he wants to see", we say as we sit in our armchairs reading this story.  Why would Jesus ask him such an obvious question?  Could it be that Jesus just needed him to be specific?  Maybe.  But it's hard for me to read this story without wondering what my answer would be if Jesus asked this question of me.  "Liz, what do you want Me to do for you?".  Whoa....suddenly the question becomes less obvious.

I "hope" my answer would be the same as the blind mans.  "Lord, I want to SEE".  Not through the lens of my eyes, but through the lens of my heart and soul.  And I hope Jesus' response would be, "Receive your sight, Liz; your faith has healed you."

You see, Jesus is constantly asking this question of each of us.  "What do you want Me to do for you, (place your name here)?"

How will you respond?

No comments: