Sunday, June 23, 2019

GROWING SEEDS: "Are You An Orphan or Have You Been Adopted?"


ARE YOU AN ORPHAN
OR
HAVE YOU BEEN ADOPTED?


Growing up, my older brother and I used to regularly tell my sister Debbie that she was adopted because she didn't have the family web toes like we both did.  James and I both inherited our father's web toes on the second and third toes of our right foot and we never missed a chance to remind Debbie she wasn't part of our family since she didn't have web toes too.   She wasn't adopted.....but we loved making her think she was.

But we learn in Ephesians 1:5 that being adopted is a GOOD thing:

"God decided in advance to ADOPT us into His own family by bringing us to Himself through Jesus Christ. This is what He wanted to do, and IT GAVE HIM GREAT PLEASURE."

Awwww...the ammunition my sister could have used if she would have known this scripture back then.  It's a privilege....an HONOR....to be adopted. 

Especially by God.

But did you know that not everyone is adopted by God into His family?  There are requirements that must be met before being adopted and being a part of the amazing family of God.  First, you must BELIEVE.....but simple belief in God alone is not enough.  James 2:19 says, "You believe that there is one God.  That's fine!  Even the demons believe that and they tremble with fear."  Belief without repentance...without relationship...
without action...is DEAD as a doornail....six feet under...pushing up daisies....hot as Hades.

So often, we Christians think that by simply proclaiming we believe in Christ and yet never getting to know Him, never speaking to Him through our prayers, never telling others about Him, that somehow, that's enough to get us adopted by God. 

Would YOU want to adopt YOU if you were Him?

I have to ask myself that question daily.  Am I living for my life here on earth or am I living for my life in eternity?  How I live my life here on earth will determine WHERE I spend my life in eternity.  God just wants YOU.  And he wants you to want Him. 

That's all.  He wants nothing more than to adopt you into His family and give you the inheritance He has reserved for you.....He doesn't mind if you have a few warts, bad breath or even web toes. 

He just wants YOU.....to want HIM.


No comments: