Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Welcome to the Redneck Twilight Zone.....

Tuesday, January 12, 2010



Howdy ya'll!!

Just wanted to share a wonderful experience we had this past weekend right here in good ol' East Texas.......I love living here....such friendly people; wonderful eating establishments; and they speak an entirely different language than the rest of the world.  Let me explain.....

The neighbors, Troy and Becky, called us the other morning and invited us to breakfast at a new eating establishment that we had never heard of; which is odd, cause we thought we had been to all four of them!  They picked us up and off we went.  They headed down the service road of the nearby highway and stopped just across from the Exit 146 Rest Stop.....yep, the Highway Rest Stop with the open aired, cinderblock bathrooms, bugs on the walls, no toilet paper and full of truckers and travelers..........Now...this may get a little confusing, so try to stay with me here.....I'm going to give you a little "East Texas" talk........


First, I was as nervous as a snake in a wheel rut cause we pulled up beside this "shack" that resembled the south end of a north bound horse that they were calling our breakfast spot.   AGH.......Anyway, I reckoned we could try it this once....

As we stepped out of the car, we immediately noticed the "outdoor cafe" seating they had next to the handicapped parking.  Well, it was colder'n a well digger's hiney outside and I just needed some coffee; strong coffee.......Let me just say, that coffee was so strong it could hairlip a donkey.  WHOA!  As we walk in the door, I hear "If you tump that over I'll slap a fart out of you that'l whiz like a ten penney nail."  Oooookkkk......welcome to the Redneck Twilight Zone........The second thing I noticed was this little baggy filled with water stapled to the inside door frame.   Hummmmm, well I didn't just fall off the turnip truck yesterday you know, but I couldn't figure out for the life of me why they would hang a baggy full of water from the top of the door frame......Soooo....I asked our "friendly as a wet dog" waitress who informed me it was to keep the flies out.....oooookkkk.......trouble with flies, huh??  Well, I've got a cow, I didn't need her bull, so I questioned further.....


She simply stated the baggy filled with water was as handy as a pocket on a shirt cause when the flies tried to fly in the door, they would see this water baggy, see their magnified reflection and it would scare them off.   Now, although this gal could eat corn on the cob through a picket fence, she certainly appeared believable.......


The breakfast was finer than frog hair, I've got to tell ya.......yummy pancakes and crunchy hashbrowns!!  Yum Yum......As we finished up and headed out, mother nature came a'callin, so we discovered the only bathroom was up yonder way across the road to the Exit 146 Rest Stop............

I love living in East Texas....I really really really do!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Liz
Can i get the name and address of that place, sounds great.
See, Sammie and i don't eat at places that are national chains, this right up our alley. And the baggie for the flies is an age old tradition and it works. It's been written up several times in numerous scientific magazines. Can't believe you don't have any at your house.
PH

Anonymous said...

So what your saying is they moved that eating establishment in Saltilla to the service Rd?

Kim