Saturday, March 23, 2013

GROWING SEEDS: February Newsletter

"I have it all planned out - plans to take care of you, not abandon you, 
plans to give you the future you hope for."  
Jeremiah 29:11 
The Message
 
I remember when I was a teenager, I desperately dreamed of  "seeing" and "knowing" my future.  I wanted to know where I'd be when I was 30; 50; 70 years old......Who would I marry?  How many kids would I have?  What would my life be like?  I actually dreamed of having a "time tunnel" to see my future.
 
Unfortunately, my teenage "time tunnel" didn't include the assurance that God was in control of my life cause, at that time, I was sure I could handle it on my own and didn't need His help.  And this feeling continued well into my 30's.  I remember shortly after getting married, I hoped God wouldn't come.......YET.......cause life was going too well.  My marriage was wonderful; I had everything I could ever want or hope for; my life was the best it had ever been.  If God could just wait a little while longer before returning, I'd be ever so appreciative!
 
I shutter to think I actually felt that way.  But I did.
 
Time and age have a unique way of teaching us; showing us that there is so much more to our future than what our every day lives bring to the table.  I found that once I stopped focusing my eyes on tomorrow or looking back at yesterday and instead, lifted my chin upwards peering into the face of God, this "perfect" life here on earth was't what I longed for afterall.  What I longed for was my amazing eternal life.....I long to take walks on a super cool road made of gold; I long to lay in grass that won't get grass stains on my brilliantly white heavenly robe, amongst colorful daisies in colors that we haven't yet discovered.......I long to hear God tell me a joke. 
 
I read somewhere recently the following: "You're only one heartbeat away from eternity.  Everything you have - your life, your breath, this moment, it's all borrowed and it's all a gift.  At any moment, it all ends with a heartbeat.   Just one heartbeat and there's no more time.  One heartbeat and the chance to be saved is gone.  One heartbeat and there's no more choosing; it's all sealed for eternal life or eternal death.  If you don't choose to be saved, then you've chosen not to be saved.  Your life and your eternity....it all rests on one heartbeat.  And what will you do on the Day of Judgement?"
 
So.......are our eyes focused on Earth or on Eternity?

No comments: