Sunday, June 2, 2013

GROWING SEEDS: "The Main Thing Is To Keep The Main Thing The Main Thing"


 
 
“The Main Thing, Is To Keep The Main Thing The Main Thing.”

 
"A group of friends went deer hunting and paired off in twos for the day.
That night one of the hunters returned alone, staggering under an eight-point buck.
 "Where's Harry?" he was asked. 
"Harry had a stroke of some kind. He's a couple of miles back up the trail." 
"You left Harry lying there and carried the deer back?"
"Well," said the hunter, "I figured no one was going to steal Harry."(1)

Have you noticed how sometimes we get our priorities mixed up?  We get so wrapped up in our "It's All About Me!" attitude that we forget there is anyone else around with needs.

Jesus said in Matthew 22:39 "....You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul and all your mind.  This is the FIRST and GREATEST commandment.  A second is EQUALLY important.  Love your neighbor as yourself."

I don't know about you, but I don't think He was talking about just loving my neighbors, Troy and Becky.  I'm pretty sure Jesus was talking about my neighbor also being the elderly person who is tired and lonely; you know, the one where Pat Sajak and Vanna White are their very best friends these days.  I think He meant my neighbor, the Dennis-The-Menace kid, who I look at as someone else's problem.....but guess what?  He's my neighbor and I'm told to love him as much as I love myself.  Yikes!!

See, by loving our neighbor, i.e., EVERYONE,  we are showing how much we love God.  "I tell you the truth, whenever you did one of these things to someone overlooked or ignored, that was ME – you did it to ME." (Matt. 25:40).  We show our love for our neighbor and God by helping "feed" that hungry town kid through Lunches of Love and "teach" that lonely town kid through Vacation Bible School this summer.  We are showing our love for that elderly person, whose house we pass every day, by stopping in and making sure their A/C is working, that they have enough to eat and joining Pat and Vanna as their friend.

What we all need to be is a neighbor to Christ.

No comments: