Sunday, June 23, 2013

GROWING SEEDS: "Words of Affirmation"


WORDS OF AFFIRMATION


"Open your mouth only if what you are going to say
is more beautiful than silence."
Actions don’t always speak louder than words. If "Words of Affirmation" is your love language, as it was mine, unsolicited compliments mean the world to you. Hearing the words, “I love you,” are important—hearing the reasons behind that love sends your spirits skyward. Insults can leave you shattered and are not easily forgotten.

Ohhhhh.......this is SO me.  Hard as I try, I have always worn my feelings on my shirt sleeve.  One insult and I'm ready to lock myself in the closet and stay there for a few days.  But throw a honeyed word my way and I'm 10' tall. 

One of the things I love most about our church is I'm constantly seeing Words of Affirmation in action.  I see it in the way Cindy talks to the Youth.....the way Pam speaks words of love to the little ones.....the way Virginia Smith talks to the Lunches of Love munchkins and the comforting words the adults speak to each other.  Not a week goes by that someone doesn't come up and tell me how much they are enjoying and appreciate reading my Sowing Seeds bulletin article.  It makes me SOAR!! 

I think sometimes we underestimate the power of our words.....after all, they're free, easy to give and take little effort.  Yet the right words, to the right person, at the right time, can mean the difference between life and death, love and hate, salvation or not. 

Look around; every one you meet.....the grocery clerk, your hairdresser, the waitress at Sonic, your pastor., YOU.....needs Words of Affirmation.

"So encourage each other and build each other up....."
1 Thessalonians 5:11a

No comments: