Tuesday, September 24, 2013

My Bella

September 24, 2013



I remember that day well......11 years ago today. 

It was a Tuesday....just like today and was the 267th day of that year in 2002.....and we had eaten a lot of mexican food the night before with her parents in hopes it would encourage her to get here sooner......

It worked.  

As we've watched this first grandchild of ours grow to a healthy 11 year old, we have never forgotten to count our many blessings for her.  She is tall, athletic, smart and cute as a button.  She has these AMAZING blue eyes that dance when she's excited and an infectious Texan laugh that has its own drawl.

And I had a few things I wanted to tell her today.....on this very special day of hers......

My Dear Sweet Bella,

My heart had never felt so full and satisfied as it did on this day in 2002 when I held you for the first time in my arms.  See, I was never able to have children of my own, so for me to have a grandchild....a beautiful blond granddaughter......was a MIRACLE.  A mind-blowing, extraordinary, unbelievable miracle and I thank God daily for bringing you into my life.

After we got through that first year of colic and you screaming bloody murder every time you saw Grandpa Charlie and me, we became friends.  We played dress-up EACH and EVERY time we saw each other even when we both outgrew the outfits.....and I questioned EACH and EVERY time why you always stripped all 687 of your Barbie's of their clothes.  Especially my designated Barbie, Meg.  I won't even go into the phase of your life where the Barbie's all had no heads.

Then you said you wanted to be baptized a few years ago.  Such a grown-up decision and in my mind, you were still 2.  I must admit, I thought you were too young.....I questioned whether you fully understood the commitment you were making.  But you know what?  I now KNOW you knew exactly what you were doing.  As I stood up with the rest of your family in your church that Sunday, watching you stand proudly in the baptismal, with those AMAZING blue eyes and long blond hair, I wiped tears from my eyes as I saw you growing up before my eyes and committing yourself to God.  There simply isn't a word in the English language to fully express my love for you at that moment.

And here we are today.....a few short years of you being a teenager.  If the next 11 years go as fast as the last 11 years, you'll be a college graduate and maybe even married.  My advice to my first born granddaughter; the one who likes to write stories, take pictures and wear cowboy boots with shorts, is to find the BLESSING in everything.  Everything.  Even the things that don't look like a blessing....be thankful for it all......

You have blessed my life, my sweet girl.....and I am SO very thankful for YOU.

Love,
LeLe

Happy 11th Birthday!!










15 comments:

bloempje said...

Happy birthday Bella, you are a very special girl, and you are becoming an awesome woman. God bless you.

Jack WAllace said...

Happy Birthday, Bella!

Grace and peace

Cynthia said...

so so sweet.. You did a wonderful Blog today.. she is a sweet doll..
love you
Cynthia

JENNIFER said...

"Wow!!! LeLe! Thanks for these beautifully written words for Bella's 11th bday. Time is marching too quickly! Hugs and love"

Pam said...

Beautiful, simply beautiful! You've brought tears to my eyes with your words.
And another miracle: the blessing that this granddaughter of yours, somehow and someway, has YOUR amazing eyes....

Liz Hurt said...

Oh, how precious. That is one blessed little girl - that's all I've got to say!!!! Love!

Sandee said...

Liz, You made me cry again. What a beautiful tribute to a beautiful young lady. Love, Sandee

Jill said...

Love it!!

Lulu said...

aah so sweet she is an amazing an has made u all very proud May God bless her always... I LOVE ur writings......."

Beverly said...

Liz: That was a beautiful tribute. Thanks for sharing it with me. ILY B

Israel said...

Thank you Liz, and yes, she is beautiful. She is a miracle from God the giver of life....Remember now your creator in the days of your youth, while the evil days come not, nor the years draw nigh, when you shall say, I have no pleasure in them. Ecclesiastes 12:1


Israel

Jeanette said...

Thanks......love those freckles. My daughter was asked one time where she got those freckles......she said "from the Sun"

J.C. said...

Hi Softie. Your blog on your GRANDdaughter was FIRST FIRST CLASS. You do not realize how good you are at that task.....comes naturally I think. You blessed
me today. THANKS. JC

Chris said...

That's wonderful! What a beautiful letter and a great tribute to a blessed girl.

Ginger said...

You are blessed!"