Sunday, December 22, 2013

GROWING SEEDS: "JOY"


 JOY
Welcome to the 3rd Week of Advent….the JOY week.


I must admit, I started this week off with anything BUT Joy.  It's funny how you can be rocking along, enJOYing the lights on the Christmas tree and everything that goes with this sparkling, holy season when WHAMM……your enJOYment gets zapped right out of your hands.  Something happens…..something is said…..something knocks you right off that JOYful high you were flying high on.  

And that's what happened to me; I lost my JOY for a brief moment this week.  I lost sight of the JOY that I had a Messiah that saw I couldn't fix myself and all the messy baggage that comes with me.  He saw that I needed help….He saw that I needed HIM.   So He decided to drop down to my level….and with 10 fingers, 10 toes, 2 ears, 2 eyes and a big heart, He left His comfortable throne and moved into my world.  He became flesh in my messed up, chaotic, angry world.

And isn't it funny how He puts the answer right under our noses when we need it most?  As my unJOYful self was reading the "Return To The Heart of Christmas" daily devotional that Pastor Jack handed out a few weeks ago, I discovered the answer: "Life is in the Preparation, not just the Destination."  We are so busy getting to our destination that we miss the preparation along the way…..you know, that messy "growth" part in the middle of our journey.

We say "Merry Christmas" so easily…….but is it REALLY that merry (Mary) when we are struggling through the crooked paths and rough places of life?  Those times when someone hurts you with their action or words….when you feel alone or betrayed?  

Without these messy growth parts; the "preparation" for our destination, would we fully understand what JOY is?   

No comments: