Monday, April 18, 2016

Keeping Our Heads Above Water - Chapter 25

April 18, 2016

It's 1:48 a.m.

It's raining.....again.....and I have placed earbuds in my ears to drown out the sound of falling water outside...a sound I used to love hearing and that would lull me into a blissful sleep.

I now find myself checking the Water District website in the middle of the night to see the level of the lake and how fast its rising.  I see from this site that our county is under yet another Flood Warning right now and just above that, I see where just a little less than a month ago, FEMA denied the appeal for assistance from our struggling county yet again.





Rain has not been our friend this year....and I desperately wish I didn't fear it.....


But I do.

A few months ago, a friend said she felt I probably had PTSD.....Post Traumatic Stress Disorder....on nights like these when the tears are falling on the keyboard and I'm forced to face my fears.  I don't think so.  I don't need a title to justify my lack of faith....I just need more faith.

Period.

I need more faith that God will take care of us.  I need more faith He will be with us in the floods of life....and that it's still His plans to prosper us and that He hasn't forgotten about us.  I need to feel less like the boys on the boat that said, "Teacher, don't you care if we drown?" and more like Jesus who said to the waves, 'Quiet! Be still!' Then the wind died down and it was completely calm" with a quick word to the baffled boys, "Why are you so afraid? Do you still have NO faith?"


He might as well have put my name at the end of that question, "Why are you so afraid, Liz?  Do you still have no faith, girlfriend?"


"I tell you the truth, if you had faith even as small as a mustard seed, 
you could say to this mountain, 
'Move from here to there' and it would move. 
Nothing would be impossible." 
 (Matthew 17:20)

I pray for the rain to stop, but it doesn't.  I pray His will to be done and to instill more armor and faith into my soul....yet I'm still scared.  Does this mean I don't have enough faith?  What words do I need to say to have the kind of faith that would move a mountain?  That would stop the rain?  That would quiet the evil one that keeps telling me the rains won't stop and where is my God when I ask for Him to stop the rains and they don't?


I turn up the music in my ears 
so I can't hear the water pouring 
outside the window.

And I start counting my blessings....thank You for Chuck, thank You for this safe temporary home, thank You for our contractor Mark we can trust, thank You for the shutters I found for $25, thank You for this beautiful place we call home......I get to about blessing #15 when I realize that gratitude always leaves me looking at God and away from dread.  It does to anxiety what the morning sun does to the fog on the lake.

It burns it up.




16 comments:

Lulu said...

So sorry for your floods your anxieties n your Fears. So inspired by your faith. Love u u r in my prayers. When it rains like this I ask God To protect Liz n her home.
You r in my thoughts N prayers a lot. Sending love n more prayers. Lulu.

Becky said...

My BFF forever. I just read your latest blog with tears on my face and in my heart. I know you must be so tired and hopefully getting some sleep right now. The rain will stop and in time to save your beautiful home!

Marlene said...

Praying for you! It's a scary morning for many of us. God is with us!

Xoxoxo,
M

Robin's Nest said...

Your words are what our hearts feel but don't know how to express... when faith seems to be like cotton candy in our darkest hours...you KNOW it's real but it seems to just evaporate the minute something takes a bite out of it...I don't know whether to say HANG ON...or LET GO...but one thing I know is while you are struggling your girls and guys will step in the gap to pray FOR you and Chuck while you are earnestly trying to "stay afloat." Keep praising my friend....just keep praising!!!!

Donna McFarland said...

Such a beautiful passage. Praying for comfort for everyone facing more rising water. Enough is enough….agreed!! You inspire us all with your words and I know God has his hand on your life. God Bless you Liz Etheridge!

Carolyn Jones said...

Dearest Liz,

I am thinking of you and Chuck during this latest Mother Nature incident.

With love,

carolyn

Maaike said...

My first thoughts this morning were, how is liz? Praying for you and Chuck and all the lake people !!!!

Laurie Pace said...

Been praying since this all started for you and all those near the lake. Love you babe... breathe and know God has your back and your front.

Ellen Louro said...

My Sweet Friend. Lifting you and Chuck up in prayer. My heart truly weeps for you.

Kathy said...

Praying for you and have been for 2 days .... as soon as it started raining. Just got to Houston. ..lots of flooding and disaster but ok in my area...so far. More rain/flooding expected over the next 3 days. I hate El Nino.

Keep your faith. God really is in control and from personal experience I KNOW He's got a plan for you & Chuck...and He will get you thru to the other side of this storm. THANK HIM for this disaster. Seriously. Will keep praying sweetie. I know this is so discouraging. Lean on your friends who love you. This too shall pass. It will.

Love you...a bunch ♥♥♥

Brooke said...

Good word my friend.

Dick and Bonnie said...

Dear Liz and Chuck,

We will pray with you to stop the rain. Please Lord make it stop for now. We are grateful thus far that the water hasn’t reached their house, but they have had their faith tested for sure.

Dick and I think of you two every time it rains, hoping it doesn’t affect your home.

Bonnie and Dick

tomek said...

Bless your heart Liz ;-) Hope you’re not getting another flood there!

Appreciate.

LeeAnn Sears said...

I am standing in the gap for you sweet sister. I'm heading to my prayer closet (aka the bathroom) at my office right now to talk with the Lord. I will lay at His feet and beg for relief from the rain, money to fix anything that comes up, comfort for you & your family, but above all else that He will hold you close during this time, that you will draw nearer to Him all for His glory & your good.

My heart aches for you, Liz! The desperation in your words is so vivid. It would be impossible to endure what you are going through without help from our Lord. Your faith is being made stronger.

It's humbling & hurtful when we are desperate for help. I know this all too well. It's an overwhelming comfort when God steps in & delivers us from Satan's hand. Then, we get to testify about His provision & salvation in desperate times so that we can encourage & comfort others in their times of tribulations. I pray you get to testify to that very soon, my friend! There is no doubt you love our Lord and that He loves you. I see that every time I look at you. Surely, He will not forsake you.


Be encouraged. The power that raised Jesus from the grave lives in us!


Love always,
LeeAnn

Joy STone said...

God bless you, Liz, thank you for your witness, your words of despair and hope, and may God grant you continued faith, strengthened faith, to give you grace and peace in the coming days. Keep shouting at God, “enough already”, and offering thanks for that “enough.” My love to you and Chuck, Joy

Sandee said...

Liz,

Your words are like the sunset my Mother described. It’s the soul yearning for the truth and perfection. You have such a gift. I love you and I sang to you on Sunday….Our souls are connected, Sandee