Saturday, May 21, 2016

Keeping Our Heads Above Water - Chapter 29

May 20, 2016

There's this saying I painted on the Dining Room wall shortly after we moved into the Lakehouse......




"...And when we grow old, 
I will find two chairs 
and set them close
each sunlit day,
that you and I,
~ in quiet joy ~
may rock
the world away."

We had been married a short four years at the time.....and these words were romantic....they were sweet....they were lovey-dovey sappy....and they were the first words I had ever painted on a wall.  I spent hours....maybe even a day...carefully making sure they were straight and perfect on that Dining Room wall.  For fifteen years, they've been staring down at us over Thanksgiving dinners, endless games of Mexican Train Domino's and watching grandchildren grow out of high chairs into teenagers.

This week the wall is bare.  One of the many sacrifices of the Flood.  A new color replaces the old....a new chapter replaces the old.  ~ Deep breath.....and life moves on.



We are less than two weeks away from moving back into the home with the double swing on the back porch that Chuck built so many years ago for us to rock the world away.  It will have been 5 months since The Flood.....and we have learned so many lessons during this time.....

~ We have learned that we have too much "stuff".  That we can live with a fraction of the things we had on December 27, 2015.  Less stuff means a lighter load.....and we plan on lightening the load...ALOT.



 ~ We have learned we don't need to watch House Hunters International every night in bed.  We used to call it our little mini-vacation before falling asleep.  But the two houses we have lived in these past 5 months have had no TV in the bedroom....so we've been falling asleep talking or with a book in our hands instead.  And we are happier.....and smarter.



~ We have learned that sometimes God chooses people to go through things.  Remember Job?  I always thought Satan picked Job....but the reality is, it was God who suggested Job to Satan. "Have you considered my servant, Job?"  Chew on that one for awhile....



~ We have learned that good people still exist.  I have lost count of the meals we have been brought, money we have been given, hands and feet that have worked for us and arms that have hugged us.  At first I tried to keep track of everyone.....had a spreadsheet and everything...but I finally threw it up in the air and gave up.

GOOD - PEOPLE - STILL - EXIST, 
PEOPLE.



And we have learned we can still see a sunrise...a sunset...a crazy awesome cloud...and be moved to tears.  Some things never change...Flood or no Flood....and I always race to show Chuck the gift God gave my eyes and soul to see that day.



And then we sit out on the back porch and rock the day away.....
 


"YOU INTENDED
TO HARM ME,
BUT GOD
INTENDED IT ALL
FOR GOOD."
Genesis 50:20






18 comments:

Joy Stone said...

You have learned, and I have learned along with you. Your Rock of Faith has become My Rock, your porch swing is my hope that God has a plan for each of us. May you be blessed with many sunrises until the coming of the Son.

Lulu said...

What BEAUTIFUL testimony of your love for God each other n many friends. God Bless. you r proof a curse can b turned into a blessing. Love u Lulu

Laurie Pace said...

One of my favorite blogs to read of yours. It is full of wisdom and shares the grace you have found following His light.

Martha Oxford said...

Oh, Liz, you're almost there.

Diana Antionello said...

This one brought tears to my eyes, Liz, as many of your postings have. Thanks for sharing with all of us and reminding us of what really matters.

Denise said...

Dear sweet Liz, you always have and always will inspire me deeply, love ya !

Nanci Zachery said...

Tears in my eyes. So beautiful. You are so loved, by so many. Hope that lightens your load.

Judy Kirby said...

You truly are a child of God! He has given you HOPE in the middle of hopelessness, WISDOM in the middle of confusion and LOVE in the middle of fear! God loves you and I love you and that's the way it should be.

Jeannette said...

I love your blogs, they are so inspiring! God is good all of the time!

Beverly McPherson said...

You always find the words to share your love and hope, amazing.

Steve Borth said...

Very well said, bless you.

Alan and Jo said...

well said...

Margaret said...


I found a sweet little thing from Shakespeare that I was going to give Ces for the anniversary that we never got to have --

"I fell in love with you the minute I saw you!
You smiled because you knew "!

I think he does know that truth. Doesn't sound like Shakespeare , huh?

Keep me posted on your progress . Not fun now--but, someday you'll smile when telling the tale. Sometimes even bad memories have their shining moments! Just makes me know even more how glad I am to realize that God is still in His Heaven--and I can still get up in the morning knowing He's in control!
Love you much , little friend-- MJ

Kathy said...

Great one, Liz. Wish I had blogged when I went through my 'stuff' long ago now. It must be somewhat healing. You have so many good friends that have helped you and that is immeasurable. Hope all is on schedule and no more rain threatens your home. It will be better than ever once it's done and this will be a faded memory...mostly of all the love you've received. That, my friend, is everything!!!

I miss my friends desperately...and rarely hear from anybody. Been pretty down and sad and feeling much like you must at sometimes. "WHEN will this JOB thing be over?" I'm praying that God will either lead me to the right people, job, etc. or that He will just take me to my REAL home. I love that song "Just Be Held". So I am trying.

Betty Faber said...

Liz: I was so moved at what you said. And I know I have too much stuff also. I hope that God gives me an extra push to pass on things that I know I don't need anymore. Yes there are good people on this earth and we find this out in so many ways. Your friends were there for you. I will be happy when you tell us that you are back HOME. Take care and give Chuck a Hug from me and yourself also.
God Bless You.

Betty

James Fulton said...

Keep sharing your life... We only die once; we LIVE everyday.

Julie said...

I'm sitting at work crying reading your words.

When I left Mt. Vernon I had two warehouses and a home full of stuff I could not bear to part with. My husband was very patient with me about this although he is one of those people who live with the bare necessities.

After the move and living in a camper for 2 years, we unloaded a huge storage unit only to find so many of me "beloved, can't part with it things" had been ruined by the heat, cold, and mice. I was devastated by the losses but when we started moving into our new home, what I had left was perfect.

There was a reason for the loss. I know now that I now was cleansed of all this stuff and it gave me new focus. Yes, its difficult to not buy stuff I want but there's a lighter load that I come home to every day, and I thank God that the cleansing of stuff helped clear my mind and heart as well.

I am over the top excited to read the chapter you are about to write.
Virtual hugs from Marshall Texas
Julie

Sandee said...

Liz, You are the most awesome woman and friend I’ve ever known. Since my Mother is gone….you have taken her place. You testify and reinforce my faith every day, just like my Mother did. The difference is…you are right here!!! God has so blessed me with you. Love, love, love….Sandee