Sunday, May 8, 2016

Keeping Our Heads Above Water.....Chapter 28

Mothers Day 2016


Today is the day we would have taken Mom to Olive Garden if she were still living on Earth.....I probably would have photo-shopped her face onto a card and she would have laughed and said something like, "Oh Liz.....where did you come from??".

And today is a happy day....a very happy Mothers Day with a Mom in the loveliest of lovely places....she is right where I want her to be.  The last few years of her life were not that kind to her....and although I miss her something awful.....I'm over-the-moon that she's.....OVER THE MOON.

NOW......on to Post-Flood news.

"The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow.....Tomorrow.....Tomorrow....

Actually, no it won't.  It's never coming out again.....we are showing rain all week.  Someone mentioned to me the other day that we are in a 7-year El Nino Rain.....I wanted to slap them.


We moved this week.  Not quite home yet....but right next door.  Our crazy awesome friend Anne is coming home this week and we realized we've spent more time in her home than she has over the past 6 months.....it's time to torture another neighbor who has generously given us a key to their house.   I also came up with a solution to Chuck's questionable wheelchair driving while in other people's homes.  It's called.....wait for it......bubble wrap.


I'm kicking myself for not having thought of this 4 months ago when we moved into Anne's house! What better way to protect our neighbor Pat's kitchen island she did such a fabulous job painting...or her refrigerator....or her door frames....than bubble wrap!  It's pure genius if I say so myself.



 I miss home....even though its right next door now.  It's looking, and feeling, more like home again.  And even as it thunders and the forecast promises rain every-single-day until the End Of Time, I still love standing in the middle of my messy, construction-zone-living-room and imagining the day we live there again.


Two days after The Flood......and four days after Christmas......I had to make a decision on what to do with our Christmas Tree that was still standing in front of the window looking out onto the lake.  I had no where to put it....I had no energy to take the Lake-ee ornaments off of it and quite honestly, it was too much of a reminder of something I'd prefer to forget.  So I threw it into the lake.....ornaments and all.  I stood there and watched it until it sunk to the bottom....Good Riddance, I thought.


But this week the strangest thing happened.  One of the ornaments came back.  I found it sitting on the wood railing Chuck had built many years ago leading to the lake.  It was of a fish sitting on a wicker bait bag.  It was an ornament that spent over 4 months in a muddy lake.....and it came Home.

And it reminded me we are almost Home.  I love my home at the lake...but I LONG for my true home in Heaven.  I long to be like that ornament and arrive Home muddy, banged up, missing parts and when I least expect it. 

And like a good friend wrote me in a text this week, "He will plant your feet on solid ground, Liz", that crazy Hobby Lobby fish sitting on a basket that had been sinking in the muck of Lake Cypress Springs for 4 months.....was now sitting on solid ground.




7 comments:

Kitty said...

Oh Liz, I love this entry about everything from Mom to Home to Bubble Wrap to Ornaments coming home! That's really quite symbolic that your ornament came home!!! Solid ground, straight ahead!

Brenda and Mel said...

As usual, this read was awesome! Thank you for your beautiful thoughts! I love you!

Love, Brenda

Julie said...

Liz, this absolutely gaves me CHILLS !!
You are almost home.. maybe not in your space, but where God wants you to be right now.
You are so blessed and prayers continue
Love you friend
Julie

Bob Kerr said...

Awesome! Your story reminds me somewhat of Dorothy's journey from the land of Oz. You've had the devine leadership of God and you could probably identify the charactors, Toto, Tinman, Scarecrow, Lion, Uncle Henry, Aunti Em, Wicked Witch and the Good Witch......"there's no place like HOME"!

Sandee said...

Beautiful, Liz. Truly your faith is helping all of us. Love you, sister. Sandee

Mary Lee said...

We are so blessed by your wonderful gift of writing from Our beloved Savior. Glory be to God ! Mary Lee

Regina said...

I love this and I LOVE YOU!!!!