Sunday, September 10, 2017

GROWING SEEDS: "Walter"


 
"I am the resurrection and the life. 
Those who believe in Me, even though they die like everyone else,
WILL LIVE AGAIN." 

John 11:25 NLT


I called him Walter.  He called me Veronica.

Neither of us could ever remember why.......such random pet names we gave each other so many years before.  To everyone else, he was Troy Arterbury.....but he was always Walter to me.

We first met 17 years ago......neighbors living three doors down from each other.  He had this infectious laugh that made everyone around him laugh.....and when this Arkansas Razorback cupped his hands to his mouth and did his "hog-call"......Goodness, I'd get the hiccups laughing so hard. 

I find myself waffling between extreme sadness for me and extreme happiness for my friend Walter who passed away a week ago.  The tears flow easily and the memories flood back quicker than I can process them.  And I remember reading about a time when Jesus felt these same emotions.  It was for His friend Lazarus....and the Bible shows Jesus' heart spilling out His eyes. 

 "Jesus wept". 

"His tears give you permission to shed your own.  Grief does not mean you don't trust; it simply means you can't stand the thought of another day without the Jacob or Lazarus or Walter of your life.  If Jesus gave the love, He understands the tears.  So grieve, but don't grieve like those who don't know the rest of the story." (Max Lucado)

My friend Walter kissed his sweet wife good-night last week, closed his eyes, drifted off to sleep, and awoke in heaven.  What a glorious beginning to the rest of his journey.....

Goodbye my friend......I know I'll see you again.  


"He will wipe away every tears from their eyes, and death shall be no more,
neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore,
for the former things have passed away."
Revelation 21:4

No comments: