Sunday, May 13, 2018

GROWING SEEDS: Mothers Day



Dorothy Calloway was a timid, insecure precious woman who lacked self-confidence ....yet....somehow she taught her own kids to stand up straight, be strong and pumped them full of boldness and self-assurance.  She never left the house without a scarf around her neck because she felt the wisdom-wrinkles occupying real estate on her neck were too unattractive.....yet.....she never failed to remind her chubby youngest daughter with a patch over her left eye from an eye disease that she was the most beautiful little girl ever.

Dorothy Calloway was a Mom.  She gave more of herself than she ever received and she always stepped back so others could shine.  She never had a new car.....she sweated in the summers working in a hot warehouse.....and her clothes didn't come from Macys but rather from Walmart.  She sacrificed so her kids didn't have to.

Dorothy Calloway was my Best Friend.  She was my first call about Anything.....she was the maid-of-honor at my wedding....

She was my Mom.

And when old age had its way with her, it was those very kids she infused confidence in....that she taught to be strong and bold and courageous and that she sacrificed for....who held the spoon that fed her when she no longer could.  As we tied the scarf around those wisdom-wrinkles one last time, kissed her good-bye and closed the lid on her life on this earth, we smiled and said, "Happy Mothers Day", Mom.

"I used to say that I was the apple and my mom was the tree and I certainly didn't fall very far.  
But that's not entirely accurate.  
If my Mom is the tree, then I'm the bird that grew up in its branches.  
I flew because of her."

No comments: