Sunday, January 12, 2020

GROWING SEEDS: "The Yellow Brick Road To Home



The Wizard of Oz. Now there's a movie I love to watch! A hundred years ago when I was 10, it would come on just once a year. Those were the days before VCR's and DVR's and being able to record 16 shows all at the same time. You actually had to be present when it came on and there was no fast-forwarding through commercials. Bathroom breaks were scheduled and I was ready with popcorn, blanket and my favorite spot on the sofa two hours before it was scheduled to come on.

Every - Single - Time.

There's something about flying over the rainbow.....dropping smack down into a new beautiful world....and starting the journey to find Home. Having to walk an unfamiliar road and meeting the brainless scarecrows, the heartless people who have rusted from much rain in their lives, and the cowardly lions who carry fear in their pocket everywhere they go.

It always reminds me that my journey on this earth is just that........a journey. It's a bleep on the radar in the whole story of my eternity. I have been the scarecrow..... scatterbrained, making bizarre choices without the guidance of God......and I have been the heartless tin man as I passed people up needing help, time and time again....and I have carried fear in that most coveted of places next to my heart.

But I long to be Dorothy......always looking ahead to the Finish Line....Heaven. The FAITH to know that if I just keep walking....if I just keep pressing on and keep my eye on the Prize and stop focusing on the often-times difficult road I'm walking and concentrate instead on the destination, one day I will top a hill and I will see it. Home. I long for my eternal Home. I long in a way that brings tears to my eyes and a desperation in the deepest parts of my soul...because there really is, "No Place Like Home".

"My home is in Heaven. I'm just traveling through this world." 
Billy Graham

No comments: