Sunday, October 11, 2020

Kill Them With Kindness In This Covid World

 It finally happened this week.  

 


After 2-1/2 months of living in the city, I heard someone say to me, "WOULD YOU MIND?? (Insert irritated-snarly-voice-with-attitude-in-an-ugly-gym-outfit).  YOU'RE TOO CLOSE TO ME!".  I may, or may not, have rolled my eyes and then gave her a great big ol' East Texas smile under that paper mask of mine as I snapped a picture of her.

Yep, I was anxiously standing in line at Trader Joe's for my very first inaugural visit when this skinny chick-who-looked-like-a-man turned and barked these words at me.  Startled, I stepped back a foot.  Truth be told, I couldn't have been any closer than 5'11" from her skinny rear-end.  I have mastered an impeccable way of visually measuring the 6' between me and the person in front of me these past few Covid months.  I simply visualize a 6' man laying on the ground between us. 

I'm pretty sure it works most every time.

But in all honesty, most people in my short time of returning to the city have been nice....polite....and respectful.  Most everyone in East Texas told me the city people would eat me alive.  That hasn't been the case, but there is a big part of Liz that is missing the human-ess (not a word....don't bother to look it up) of living in the country.  The Grace that comes as easy as breathing or acknowledging or even...(gasp)...speaking kindly to strangers in the grocery store aisle or, heaven forbid, hugging during a pandemic, is missing  here.  Strangers generally don't speak to you here in the city unless they're telling you to BACK AWAY.  And that is why I am making it my mission to look them straight-in-the-eye and startle them with conversation and a smile...and to see the person who is inside their skin.

“Here is a simple rule of thumb for behavior:
Ask yourself what you want people to do for you; then grab the initiative and do it for them!
Luke  6:31

No comments: