Sunday, November 3, 2013

GROWING SEEDS: "Power of Prayer"


"POWER OF PRAYER???"



Twenty-three years ago at the young age of 10, my niece Jacque had a tragic accident at her private Christian school.  The swing set she had been playing on suddenly fell, hitting the back of her head causing her to suffer a severe brain trauma.  As the doctors fought to save her life and our family gathered around her, word spread throughout the community and prayer chains were formed.  We will never know just how many people lifted Jacque up in prayer that day, but one thing we do know is that God was listening……and He brought Jacque through the storm and back to us.

But what about the child in the hospital bed next to her who had no one praying for them?  

For years this question has haunted me.  The God I knew didn't discriminate and base His decision to heal, or not heal, on the number of prayers one received.  So why do we pray?  Why form the prayer chains?  Why pray for healing? 

As I've grown in my faith since that time, I've come to realize that usually the prayers are more to strengthen US than the person we're praying for.  Don't get me wrong; I believe in the power of prayer…..I believe God can and does heal people we pray for.  But I also believe he heals those we don't pray for.  I am of the opinion it was God's intent all along to heal Jacque from this horrible accident.  She has gone on to serve Him faithfully and tell the story of her healing to others.  God gave her back to us for awhile……But I think it also warmed His heart to hear so many of His own children growing in faith through their prayers dedicated to her.

But what about those He didn't heal?  Prayer or no-prayer…..He chose to end their time on this earth.  Maybe, just maybe, our prayer requests for healing should be for "His Will" to be done and not "Our Will"…..even if this means His will is the "Ultimate Healing"…..togetherness with God…..FOREVER.  I simply can't think of a better healing than that!

God always answers our prayers.  ALWAYS.  And "No" can be an answer…..as much as "Wait" or "Yes".  



No comments: