Sunday, January 19, 2014

GROWING SEEDS: "Your Journey"


"Your journey has molded you for your greater good, and it was exactly what it needed to be. 
Don't think that you've lost time. 
It took each and every situation you have encountered to bring you to the now. 
And NOW is right on time." 

Asha Tyson

 

Do you sometimes wonder how you got to where you are?  How did you get to Mt. Vernon, Texas?  Born and raised here or maybe running from the city?  How did you get to First United Methodist Church Mt. Vernon?  Was it a fluke that you parked your car in this parking lot?  How did you come to marry the person you married?  Did you just decide to get married one day and grabbed the first person you saw?

See, I believe when we are true Christians, everything happens right on time.  What does it mean to be a "TRUE" Christian?  So often we call ourselves Christians, but are we really?  Would you sell everything you had if God asked you to?  Would you leave your family and serve as a missionary in Timbuk2 if God asked you to?  Would you talk about God to the card-carrying atheist down the street if God asked you to?  Awwww.....kind of makes you tremble a bit, doesn't it?  I know it does me.

But that's exactly the question we all have to ask ourselves.  Sometimes we struggle just getting dressed and making it to church on time much less serving as a missionary somewhere where the roaches are the size of a Jeep.  It's tough enough adding an extra $50 to our church giving much less selling everything we own and walking in faith.  But isn't that what Jesus defined a Christian as being?

I remember years ago, my prayers went something like this, "Dear God, forgive me where I have sinned and help me to serve You better.....but not in Africa or someplace dirty like that....Oh, and God....do you think You might encourage my boss to give me a raise?  I sure could use a new car."

Yep, I'm ashamed to tell you, that was my exact prayer.  But I also believe God knew I needed to go through this idiotic selfish time in my life to get to where I am today.  I'm a far cry from being all God wants me to be; a FAR FAR cry.........but I know that BECAUSE of my past experience, I can now answer "YES" to the questions above. 

It took each and every situation I have encountered in my life to bring me to the now......the good, the bad and the ugly......
and NOW, is right on time!

No comments: