Sunday, January 26, 2014

GROWING SEEDS: "Pebbles in Your Path"


Nobody trips over mountains. 

It is the small pebble that causes you to stumble. 
Pass all the pebbles in your path 
and you will find that you have crossed the 
mountain.



Do you ever just lay on your back in the grass looking up at the clouds watching as they pass above you….their shadows slowly shading the earth your laying on?  You reflect on your life so far……the experiences that have molded you into the person you are today….the very person laying on the grass staring up into heaven.  

Moments of whitespace.  
Breathing rest into your soul.

For me, these moments are memories of how I arrived at this juncture in my life.  My everyday life.  My everyday life that has included hearing those agonizing words "You will never have that child you always dreamed of" and a failed marriage to an alcoholic and eventual death of that alcoholic……an alcoholic who died alone…..the gruesome details of that death I will let die with him.  

The dark seasons of our lives…….

I am haunted by that time in my life….questioning whether circumstances would have been different had I only gently guided his heart to Jesus….if I had only gently guided MY own heart to Jesus.  Questions of whether he got to know God before he breathed that last breath……all alone.

There's nothing special about my story……it's the same as yours.  This infertility and deceased alcoholic was a pebble I stumbled on as I climbed this mountain….and it is one of those soul conversations I have with myself as I lay, flat out on the grass looking into the heavens.  And like the hand of a good friend, I feel God's hand resting on mine as we lay quietly on the grass together……watching the clouds go by…..and he whispers, "Be-loved….if you falter, I'll just keep whispering it, close to your ear……this is the way - beloved - walk in it."

"I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? 
My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth!
He will not let you stumble, the one who watches over you will not slumber."
Psalms 121:1-2, 3

No comments: