Sunday, March 6, 2016

GROWING SEEDS: I Was Blind But Now I See

 

 

I was in second grade when the school-appointed optometrist came and tested each set of eyes in our little private school in downtown Dallas.  He set up his examination area in the corner of the classroom, turned the lights off and, one by one, tested each of our eyes. 

Turns out, there was a problem with one of my eyes.  I had a condition called Amblyopia....my brain favored one eye over the other
causing the least favored eye to become "lazy".   Treatment was a pirate's patch over the "good" eye for a year forcing my lazy eye to pick up the pace and start seeing clearly again. 

As I read over today's scripture about the blind man whom Jesus healed in John 9, my mind went back to that time when I, too, was blind.  Not the physical blindness of Amblyopia....but the spiritual blindness I had for most of my life...the inherited blindness which caused me to assume there were no lessons left for me to learn.   The lukewarmness of thinking I knew God.....enough.

And much like my brain favoring one eye over the other causing the least favored eye to become blurry, our spiritual life can become blurry from favoring the world around us.  We get "lazy" in our time with God and focus on things other than Him....trust me, I do it daily.....and it's only when we put a patch over the dominant things of this world, that our spiritual vision becomes clear and in-focus with God. 
 

Lord, give us eyes to see Your means,
A Heart to see Your methods,
And faith to wait Your answers.....

No comments: