Friday, June 18, 2010

"My Dear Sweet Con Artist Dad......I Think I'll Keep Him"


Satuarday, June 19, 2010



Pappo


My earliest memories of my Dad was of him tossing all three of us kids into Old Yeller', his ancient yellow truck, and driving to 7-11 for an ice cold Slurpee on a hot summer day.  I can still remember the excitement I felt as we headed down the street, not a single one of us strapped into a seatbelt, and heading out on a rare adventure with our Dad.  That is, until he decided to squirt some of his mace into the cab of old Yeller'.  Now, I know if that happened today he would be turned into CPS, but back then, WAY back then......he and my brother thought this was about the funniest thing that had ever happened......watching as we hung our heads out the window coughing and wiping the burning tears out of our eyes......It's just a shame that is one of my earliest memories of my Dad.......

Fast forward to age 16..........Dad always had the philosophy that his kids needed a stick shift car and a strong sense of responsibility when they turned 16.  Most kids would have killed for a Dad with that philosophy, but not me.  I was just fine with my brand new 10 speed bike.  But Dad won and I was now the proud owner of a standard, aluminum engine 1979 Chevy Vega Station wagon.  He taught me how to drive this dream car at Restland Cemetary where, in his words, "I couldn't kill anyone".

I'm so glad he did......

As the years continued to fly by, Dad and I grew closer.  He always made sure to smuggle me plenty of Dr. Pepper at boarding school where it was strictly prohibited; he always made sure I had a $20 in the back of my wallet; and even though he knew I was making the mistake of my life when I married my first husband, he walked me down the aisle anyway.

Don't get me wrong, my Dad is certainly no saint.  He made plenty of mistakes raising his strange kids; he lost his temper far too many times; spent way too much time at work and away from his family; and was way too easy to wrap around my little finger........

But my Dad is a good man......a very good man.

He loves his wife, his family, his God.  He has always challenged us kids by taking "devils advocate" with us and forcing us to think outside the box; to be independent and stand on our own......and to always give back to others.  He believes every man should have two pocket shirts with a pocket protector at all times; why, some might even call him a "con artist".......

And he's changed as he's gotten older.......


I drove an hour once just to capture a picture of him getting a pedicure...

He reluctantly allowed a picture of himself with a bib on that said, "You Feed...I Burp"

He owns an iPhone

My Dad......my sweet, dear con-artist Dad.......I think I'll keep him another year!!

Thanks Dad!

Love,

Softie


9 comments:

Tom said...

That reminds me. I absolutely have to go see JC while I'm in Dallas.

Tom

Lynette said...

Oh my goodness! I totally remember that jacket you're wearing and that BEAUTIFUL Vega! And speaking of boarding school isn't that dear old VGA where you and your dad are standing? I think I recognize those palm trees... Your Dad is one of a kind alright. BTW, don't you have a rather important birthday coming up?

Ellen said...

James laughed again at the mace part!

Ellen

Donnita said...

I think you may have missed your calling as a writer!

Donnita

Kenya said...

Liz,
Are you able to send your dad's iPhone number? We no longer attend Dallas First, and miss your dad terribly. We never missed a chance to yuk it up with him at church. In fact when he was too cranky, I would say "Jim, you just need a big hug" and throw one on him! This was especially effective in sabbath school when he was getting irritated. Mark and I think the world of him and your mom. We would love to text him to stay in touch and keep up with his annoyances.

Thanks so much,

Kenya

Nancy said...

"Yep, that's where I learned to drive, too...but then, our dad's were friends!"

Nancy

Jacque said...

That’s where you taught me to drive.

Jax

Sharon Martin said...

This made me cry....I miss your mom and dad SOOOO much!!! Love the part about teaching you to drive...I can totally hear him saying that!

Sharon

Sharon Martin said...

"When you see him again - give him a hug from Little Bit (and to your momma too). "

Sharon