Tuesday, September 14, 2010

DAY 76: Uncle George Made Us Cousins; Chance Made Us Friends

DAY 76:  Durango, Colorado - September 13, 2010


Ok folks, tonight we are going to talk about something other than where we are, what we're doing or what crazy thing Chuck said or ate today.  So, hang in there with me on this; it might get a little confusing....
My skinny sister, Debbie and I
Today, while talking to my sister Debbie, she was telling me about a visit she made to my Uncle George and his wife at an Assisted Living Center down the road from she lives....

My Uncle George is my uncle by marriage.  He was married to my dad's sister, Aunt Esther, for many years until she passed away in the mid-90's.  He eventually remarried to a lady named Barbara.  Now, Barbara's first husband also had passed away, so they both had families from their first marriages.

Still with me??  I really am going somewhere with this.......

In the course of telling telling me how Uncle George and his wife Barbara were, my sister mentioned to me that Barbara had a daughter-in-law whose father was married to a long-time family friend of ours, Alice Capps.  Of course the first thing out of my mouth was, "SHUT UP" cause thats what I always say when something surprises me.......
(CLICK TO ENLARGE)
Now, our long-time family friend Alice (and I do mean LONG TIME family friend..........I don't ever remember NOT knowing Alice Capps..) has daughters both Debbie's age and my age that we went to school with our entire lives.  Sammie is the oldest daughter and was good friends with Debbie since probably 1st grade.  Julie, the youngest daughter, was one year ahead of me in school and I've known her forever.  But we've really only become good friends over the past few years.  Alice Capps was a teacher when we were in elementary school and taught my sister, brother and I in school.
Deb and I with our NEW cousins....
Now.....here's the punch line.......Debbie and I "discovered" while talking about the bizarreness of this, you know, that our uncle by marriage's 2nd wife's daughter-in-law's father married to a long time friend of ours.......that we are now COUSINS with Sammie and Julie!!  I know that's a bit of a STRETCH.......but hey, we have "new" cousins that are "old" friends........HOW COOL IS THAT????  We're so excited with our new cousins Sammie and Julie!!
Julie - my NEW cousin and OLD friend

See, isn't this better than hearing that I did laundry today??
I think I even see the family resemblance.........
Julie & Alice Capps (our new Aunt)

7 comments:

Ant Ellie said...

It is a small, strange world isn't it? Good friends now good cousins! wow!
I am glad you put the heritage line in there....it is hard to follow without it.
Love you both lots and lots.
ant ellie

Carla said...

I AM confused!!!

Carla

Israel said...

Interesting, but confusing!!

Israel

Julie said...

I am amused and impressed! Love the picture of the four cousins and the family tree demo. That one surprised me!! I forwarded this to my Mom and James. They will get a kick out of it!!

Now let's figure out how to get this family together!!

Hugs, Julie

Cynthia said...

bet your ears were burning yesterday afternoon.. We were at the DQ eating dinner and some people
came in and they are going to travel .. and I mentioned you and Chuck traveling and they read your BLOG every day like I do.. so we had fun talking about YOU and CHUCK yesterday.. I'm crazy and cannot for the life of me remember their names but they just sold the "Stove Warehouse" out on 115... they know you'all.. but just thought you might like to know that.. They are nice people and they are so excited about traveling.. so who better to talk about than you and Chuck and of course "MURPHY".. :)

Ken & Cynthia said...

I hope the story on the NEW cousins.. what is so funny is that you all favor.. is that not crazy.. it's like
you were family all along.. I'm proud for you.. and I loved the story.. keep them coming sweet friend.
Love you,
Cynthia and hello to Mr. Chuck for us..

jacquetta said...

Julie is darling and the 4 of you all look alike.