Sunday, September 19, 2010

DAY 82: I Love My Jake........Brake, That Is!!

DAY 82:  Pagosa Springs, Colorado - September 19, 2010


One of my VERY favorite things to do while driving the motorhome is use the Jake Brake.  Did you notice how I capitalized the words, Jake Brake?  That's because he's like a good friend........a real person, so to speak.
And today.......well; today was a good Jake Brake day.  We only went a short distance...from Durango to Pagosa Springs, but I had lots of hills to use my good friend, Mr. Jake Brake.......and did I ever enjoy using him!

We finally made it to Pagosa Springs and, as usual, I found myself going "in" the "out" road to the campground.  Not only did the people trying to leave the campground have to turn around and go a different route, but now I was in a difficult position to maneuver into my RV spot ...... errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr .....but Mr. Harvey, the slow-talking, elderly gentleman who owns the place just looked at me and said, "What'd yer come from that direction fer?"  I tried to explain that his sign by the road was a little misleading but he just motioned for me to follow him and we'd get the 50' of motorhome and trailer into the spot somehow........he looked a little annoyed to me..........

We finally got it in there, set up camp and then took off on the trike to see the sites of Pagosa Springs.  We took a "Loop" road I had read about which, of course, was a dirt road......and we all know how Chuck hates dirt roads......"It chips the paint"......"It's hard on the bike"........"You're going to be buying a new paint job"...blah blah blah.........SO.....we took the dirt road!  And what an AWESOME 39 mile dirt road it was!!  But even I was ready to get off this bumpy dirt road!

But the awesome sites we saw were worth every bumpy, dirty, ding on the bike!  See if you don't agree.....




8 comments:

Lynn said...

Liz, I love reading your post!"

Lois said...

Wow!! What beauty, I have saved them all on picasa, Thanks, Lois

Judy Hammack said...

Oh my goodness. Beautiful scenery; could not find any more beautiful pics in Country magazine. Well worth the bumps and dust!!!! I know three people living in Pagosa Springs; one young lady who was raised in Davis, Ok, a family who used to live in the Arbuckle area and worked at the Lifestyle Center of America; and a dear sweet elderly lady whom Les and I had the pleasure of being 'adopted' by she and her husband while living in Beeville, Tx. She moved to Pagosa Springs a few years ago to live next to her son. She outlived two husbands. I think that she is in her early 90s. She has wanted us to come
out and visit her and I would love nothing better. These pics make me want to pack up and head that way tomorrow; but won't. We have talked about going up some summer. Perhaps we will make a strong effort to go up next summer.

Love the pics and stories.

Thanks for the birthday wish. Les is taking me out to eat and to a movie tonight.
Take care.
Love
Judy

Ant Ellie said...

Hope the Chinese food was good. the last time I went to a Chinese place...it was a buffet...which
I figured I could determine what had meat in it and what didn't....No way Jose. When I asked the little Chinese woman, "does this have meat in it," she would smile and say yes. She kept doing this with every hot dish including one that was plainly brocholi with nothing else...she said "Yes" when asked if it had meat in it. Evidently she didn't understand a word of English, but knew to always say yes. Which meant I had to pick through every bite to make sure there wasn't a hidden shrimp or something worse in it. Completely ruined the meal.

The flying saucers story was real neat. was there just one sighting or lots of them? What ever happened to the burnt bodies? Were there any pictures? Was this place in northern New Mexico maybe on the west side? Take care and have fun. You tell such interesting stories. I love you both. ant ellie

Robert Jordan said...

"Yeh, we all sit around waiting to see what you screw up/crash/bend/run over/drop/get into next.... it is like an accident waiting to happen.... kinda like Nascar only better....."

Tom Wardle said...

"Yea, I think you are one blink away from a major disaster. And poor Chuck, white-knuckling it the whole time. Maybe he figures "Hey we all have to go some time"."

Ant Ellie said...

What beautiful scenery....better than picture postcards.
have fun. ant ellie

Stu said...

If you guys ever need a navigator, laundry boy, motorcycle painter, parker or even the dreaded hose hauler I would be happy to join you. I also take pictures too. You guys are definitely living the life I had been saving for before my detour. I love your blog too Liz as you know. That was one great looking 39 mile dirt road.
Take care both of you.
Sincerely,
Stu