Sunday, April 18, 2010

Three Women and an RV.....DAY 6

April 17, 2010


This morning, our last morning, we woke to the sound of........RAIN!  Ah man, I wish it would just give us a break already!  We have suffered through rain the entire week and we are down right sick of RAIN!  First thing out of Ant Ellie's mouth this morning was, "Liz, I think we must be parked near a roaring river.  I could hear it all night long........"  

LIZ: "Well, I don't "think" we're parked near a roaring river......
not suppose to be parked near a roaring river....."  
ANT ELLIE: "I could hear it getting closer and closer to the motorhome 
as the night went on...." 
 LIZ: "Do you hear the river now?"  
ANT ELLIE: (Head tilted listening for the roaring river) 
"No, I don't believe so..."  

Well, it was about this time that a thought occurred to me (yes.....that does happen sometimes....).

LIZ: "Ant Ellie, did it sound like this?" 
ANT ELLIE:  "Why yes, I believe it did..."  

Turns out, Debbie's "noise machine" to help her sleep was the roaring river Ant Ellie heard all night.....Poor Ant Ellie had her plan of action already set in place in the event she had to swim out of the RV Park during the night!  Bless her sweet heart!

And today was the day I've been most nervous about all week......the day Liz empties the sewer on her own!  This sewer is different from our last motorhome.....it has a blender-type device on it that puree's the poo poo and sends it down a smaller, sleeker, kinder looking hose into the city sewer.  But its a little more complicated to empty because of this blender-of-the-poo-poo device......You may recall in an earlier blog that Charlie had walked me through it at home prior to leaving, but he wasn't here to stand over me and make sure I didn't screw anything up....plus, let's remember, it was RAINING!  So, with instructions in hand, I set out to empty the sewer.  Debbie stood over me with the umbrella, I followed each step of the soaking wet instructions step by step, carefully making sure to open the BLACK handle at the right time; then open the GRAY handle at the right time; then push the RED button at the right time; then monitor the levels the WHOLE time.......And I've got to tell ya, we were fantastic sewer custodians.....We can now empty the most complicated of sewers anywhere!!

We could "feel" every male in the RV park calling to their wives as they stared at us through their RV windows saying "Hey Myrtle, get over here.....check out these three women unhooking their RV.......why can't YOU do that???" as we emptied the sewer, unhooked the water line, unplugged the electrical, lifted the jacks (which had sunk into the asphalt) and hooked the car up to the motorhome.  We looked like hell, but we DID IT!

We hit the road as it continued to rain....and rain......and rain.......and rain...... The roads were starting to flood and the RV was hydroplaning just a bit..... I ended up running one very VERY RED light as there was no way to stop the RV in time without sliding.....and the closer we got to Cleburne, the worse it seemed to get.  At one point, I was thinking to myself, "I don't want to do this anymore.....this is no longer fun" and just wanted to stop right then and there, but unfortunately, that was not possible.  We were on a two lane road with very little shoulder and big hills to climb.....Once my knees and hands started shaking, I knew it was time to pull over somewhere...ANYWHERE....and either cry or throw up.

We finally arrived at Deb's house and I practically kissed the wet ground.....it had been a long, very long, stressful day and without a doubt, the hardest drive I've ever had in the RV, but we arrived home safe and sound with many new experiences learned.  I simply can't imagine how I would have made it without the pre-trip prayer this morning asking for God's bubble of protection.  I gained much comfort from knowing He was watching over us throughout the day, helping me steer and make good choices.

See, it was a good day after all..............WE SURVIVED!


COMMENTS:
 Now, I want to go on an RV trip with you but I don't want to empty the sewer.  I'll clean, I'll cook, I'll do anything but empty the sewer.  Well, I guess I could hold the umbrella.


Glad ya'll have fun and make it home safely.  Sounded like you all had a great time.

Carla



Liz,
I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your daily blogs!  I laughed with you and sympathized with you for the rain, rain, rain. It took me back to our camping days with three kids and a dog and how we loved every minute of it. 
Mary



Well I have really enjoyed your trip.. I felt like I was actually there.. how neat is that..
Take me on another one soon.. :)
I kept my sister up to day by sending them to her and she was so happy to hear every
day.. so you have an audience out here..

Cynthia


So glad you made it home safely!  Thanks for the "entertainment" during these rainy days!  You made me tear a time or two with Ant Ellie stories!

Perfect ending with the pic of the church. 
You are a brave woman!
~Marlene



No comments: