Sunday, August 14, 2011

DAY 41: A Tragic Story......With A Happy Ending

DAY 41:  Vernal, Utah
TEMP:  89 Degrees / 58 Degrees



"Death is not the enemy 
who puts an end to everything, 
but the friend who takes us by the hand 
and leads us into the Kingdom of Eternal Love."
Henri Nouwen 


While we were riding that hidden, lonely road I told you about in yesterday's Blog, we made a quick stop at a roadside picnic area to stretch our legs.

As we were leaving, we noticed this plaque:

I haven't been able to get it off my mind ever since, so today I started researching just exactly what happened that fateful day in June of 1965.  I thought you might find this tragic story interesting:

It was 26 years ago on June 9 that seven family members - Keith and LaVon Woodruff of Salt Lake City, along with their children, Jerry, 3; David, 2 and Karen, 1, along with two nephews, Randy, 15, who had just graduated from Jr. High a couple days before, and Paul, who just turned 13 the day before he died, had left for a week of fishing and camping.

Due to heavy snowpack and rainfall that year, it caused the dam at the reservoir to give way.  A 15 foot wall of water, rocks and trees washed down the canyon and through the campground they were staying at.  The morning of June 9, 1965, a road construction worker had seen a station wagon overturned in the flood waters at the campground in Sheep Creek Canyon and determined from the license plates that it belonged to the Woodruff family, however, the family could not be found.
Woodruff Family

That evening, their families got together for prayer.  The following day, a few of the cousins went to the site of the flooding, but the treacherous flow had prevented searchers from getting to the vehicle and by the time the cousins got there, the car had disappeared.

Eventually, with the aid of a mine detector, the car was found buried upside down under 4' of mud, yet no bodies were inside.  On June 11, Randall, the 15 year old nephew, was located and over the next 7 weeks, four more bodies were found.  The recently turned teenage nephew, Paul, was never located.

In a strange circumstance, a friend told the grieving family of a conversation he had with Keith Woodruff before the family had departed.  The friend said Keith told him of a dream in which he and his family had died in a flood.  He said Keith didn't seem upset about the dream, just kind of matter-of-fact about it.  Keith did indicate to the friend that he felt his mission on earth was drawing to a close.

Although this is a tragic story, the quote above just kept creeping into my head as I learned more about this God-loving family.  It's been one of my favorite sayings since I first heard it a few years ago.....I don't know for sure, but I feel that Keith and LaVon, if they were here today, might quote this very saying to their grieving families.
Our sunset tonight......





13 comments:

Judy Boyles said...

Beautiful quote! I believe God does tell, at least some of his children, their time is near. I was just 16 when my dad died suddenly and God warned me a few days in advance that dad wouldnt be with me much longer and I received great comfort at time I needed it most. And I knew death was not the end

You are a good minister to us

Have a blessed day!

Judy Boyles

Israel said...

You know Liz, you r very informative, you provide information that is relevant to issue you r addressing, however, I wonder, how and where do you get all the details? Thanks

Israel

Ant Ellie said...

I am keeping those four lines to put on sympathy cards as they are so meaningful!
what a sad story though....and he might have had a premonition about that happening...
how unusual. Will tuck that into my memory too.....always camp a little uphill....never at
the lowest point! The sunset picture was so neat......red at night, sailor's delight!
Hope you have good weather and lots of fun and sightseeing. I really really enjoy your blog.
I love you both lots and lots.
ant ellie

Lulu said...

"Thats just so sad to me.. all soo young..guess thats why i never liked camping.....

Carla Melcher said...

WOW!!!

Carla

Denise Kohler said...

Wow ! That was a very moving story Liz ! Thanks - Denise

Kristin said...

Sad Story, but its nice that you took the time to research. BTW- your "little secret" on day 38 or 39 of your blog... You told a perfect strange sitting next to you on american airlines!! Hope you are safe and enjoying yourself. Have fun!

Liz Etheridge said...

Hey Kristin, crazy as this sounds, you've never felt like a stranger to me. I feel like I've always known you.....

Kristin said...

Ah! Very Kind. Be good, it looks like you are enjoying yourself. I am going to the Monterey Jazz Festival in Sept. Can't wait!

Ben said...

Good story Liz, I missed a few days, but enjoyed catching up. You know, I was a "road warrior" for years and years. Now that I'm not traveling anymore, it's good to read about your travels..

Kathy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Melanie Wills said...

"I have been enjoying your trip vicariously..your pictures are amazing. This was a very touching story.

Regina said...

Wow - love your off-roading stories. They may be hair raising from time to time but they sure seem cool - like the ancient cemetary and now this. I so appreciate this kind of cool, side-bar, different sort of things.