Monday, July 18, 2011

DAY 14: BV = Beautiful View....

DAY 14:  Buena Vista, CO
TEMP:  Niceeeeeee......Low 55/High 85


Today we loaded the lawn chairs up, pulled the slides in, remembered to unhook the electrical and headed west towards BV..........Buena Vista, Colorado to you tourists......"Beautiful View" to me.....

Here's a one paragraph history lesson on BV:  Buena Vista is at about 8000', between millions of mountains known as the Collegiate Peaks, i.e., Mt. Harvard, Mt. Yale, Mt. Princeton, etc....  The area around here is known as the "banana belt" due to its mild winters because it lies in a wide valley and in a high mountain desert.  We know this cause our motorcycle is a different color now due to the sand in the air.
This is NOT the gas station I panicked in.....

So as we're traveling along, we stop to get fuel in Woodland Park.  Unfortunately, there are no large, easy-to-get-into type gas stations on the road that we are traveling.......there's only tiny, hope-you-don't-side-swipe-the-car-next-to-you type gas stations.   I pull in to the inside center bay as all the other bays were full, and waited until the 5th wheel in front of me finished up and headed out.  Now its my turn.......As I start into the center bay, I notice this MONSTER truck pulling this MONSTER trailer in the same bay as I but opposite pumps.  I was praying; yes PRAYING that he would just back up as opposed to going forward next to me cause I'm here to tell ya; we had only a matter of inches between us......By this point, my knees start shaking.....then my hands start shaking......then I convince myself I'm not going to look......then I look anyway.....IT FREAKED ME OUT!   Bottom line; the guy was a good...no....VERY good driver cause he somehow, someway got his 50' of metal out of that bay without hitting me or anything else.

Geeeezzzzz........but the good news is, we had a beautiful, breathtaking, jaw-dropping, out of this world drive here.  And such a neat little town!  Tomorrow, Chuck has informed me, we are sleeping in, going out for breakfast and then I am free to drag his "caboose" anywhere I want..
View from our campsite

7 comments:

Jan and Joe said...

Gorgeous!!

Anonymous said...

breathtaking an i LOVE the temps.. ENJOY

Georgia and Hal said...

You need to take the trike up to Saint Elmo on Mt. Princeton. It is a pretty drive. St Elmo is a ghost town up the mountain. We go to Alpine which is a little town part way up to St. Elmo where our friends have a cabin they rent. They have a small apartment home they have been living in and rent the old cabin out. They are now building their new home and will be renting out both the cabin and the little apartment home. We have been going up here almost every year since we were married. In fact we will be back up there in August. They also have a Hot Springs pool on the way up that you could go and relax. Enjoy our favorite place.

gg

Ant Ellie said...

Colorado must be a wonderful state.....not sure about the winters but the summers and the views are spectacular. How about living the winters in New Mexico just below Colorado and then move up into the mountains for the summer.....the best of both worlds......or do like you all do, move to different views and better weather when needed! Yes!.
Have fun you two.
ant ellie

Kenya said...

Audra has been accepted to Campion Academy in Loveland. The REAL reason I'm sending her there is I now have a great excuse to fly up to Colorado 5 times a year to get her. She doesn't know it yet, but a few of those home leaves are going to be spent in the rockies on a mother daughter excursion. She just THINKS "home leave" means home. But I have a different interpretation. It's HOME LEAVE for her mother! BWAAAAAHAAAAAAA!

Enjoy
Kenya

Glenda Anderson said...

BV is a great place! Have considered a move there just this past year! Don't know what is on your schedule, but you are close to Salida. Really neat place known for it's artsy community and good artsy shopping!!!! just sayin'......

Love y'all!

Sherrie said...

WOW! What a pic.