Tuesday, September 29, 2009

I Knew It Wasn't My Fault...........



Tuesday, September 29, 2009


Remember back in May when I blogged about a little "incident" that happened to me while driving to the marina for dinner?  If not, here it is again:  


"It was a beautiful evening.  The stars were out; the sun was setting and Liz was dared to go 90 mph in her old lady Toyota Camry.  Never being one to turn down a dare, she did as she was dared.  Unfortunately, the gas pedal stuck in the DOWN position and nothing she did could get the car to slow down much less stop.  Another unfortunate part of this story was she was on the road that leads directly into the lake......yep, the LAKE was getting closer and closer and she was running quickly out of road.  As she tried in vain to stop the car by standing on the brakes to no avail,  and passing the Marina going 90 mph, all the friends waiting on her to arrive there thought that the blur that just went by looked like her, but just weren’t sure.......until they heard the grinding gears and burning rubber of the car going into neutral.  They waited anxiously to hear the “splash” that they just knew was about to happen.  Fortunately, that never happened.  She got a glimpse of intelligence & turned the car off.  As she tried to turn down the volume of Chuck yelling at her and making sure her backseat passengers, Troy and Becky, were okay and hadn’t soiled themselves from fear, she discovered the floor mat had wedged itself on the gas pedal which caused a near-catastrophe.  And that was Friday."


Wellllllllll.........I saw an interesting tidbit go across the TV screen on Glenn Beck this afternoon that brought the whole incident above into focus.....and I quote, "Runaway Toyota Recall

In its biggest recall ever, carmaker warns that floor mat could jam accelerator. (Ya think????) DETROIT -- Toyota Motor said Tuesday it will soon issue a recall for at least 3.8 million Toyota and Lexus vehicles to fix a potential (Did they say, "Potential"????) safety problem caused by a car's floor mat jamming the accelerator.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, meanwhile, urged motorists not to wait for a fix. (I didn't; I sold the car soon after) "This is an urgent matter," (again.....ya think!!)  said U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood. (Someone give Ray a raise!!)   "For everyone's sake, (especially the passengers in Liz's old Camry...) we strongly urge owners of these vehicles to remove mats or other obstacles that could lead to unintended acceleration." (and one last time....YA THINK???......)
Ha!  I knew it! I knew it wasn't my fault, although you couldn't convince those in my car that day of that.  They are still in therapy from the experience and always say a prayer before getting in the car with me........
P.S.  I added the picture of Glenn Beck just because........... I like Glenn Beck

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw this ad and did a second take because I have been looking for a car to buy and, of course, Toyota was in the running for the 'stability'!! HUH!! Bring on the replacement for my Tahoe and I don't think Toyota's going to be on that list anymore!!!!
Glad you were safely restrained from a 'splash down', though!!!
Glenda

Anonymous said...

It's funny now but at the time, I would have aged
a few years..on top of the normal aging...ha.
Proves you were right!
ant ellie