Sunday, August 11, 2013

GROWING SEEDS: "My Postcard to GOD"


My Postcard to GOD



I just love it when this happens!  

Here I am, sitting on the back pew, minding my own business, holding hands with my husband and listening to the sermon on "Postcards to Home", soaking in the warmth that comes from attending this amazing spirit-filled church, when straight off the bulletin cover the word "HOME" jumped literally from paper into my very soul........

My "Postcard to HOME" should actually read, "My Postcard to GOD".  

Let me explain.  Most mornings, after getting my coffee and plopping myself down in my favorite chair, I log onto a website called "Echo Prayer" (www.echoprayer.com).  It's a password protected online Prayer Journal where you can type your prayers and save them.  I've been saving my daily prayers here for almost three years now.  I take a nice long sip of coffee and start talking to God through my fingers.  I rattle on and on, sometimes for too long, telling Him about everything....how I slept that night, the weather, how Chuck annoyed me the day before, what I have planned the day ahead......I tell Him about my worries, my concerns......and thanking Him for each of these.  It's like my Postcard to God each day.  When I go back and reread the prayer I wrote three years before (which is one of the coolest parts of doing this), it reminds me, much like rereading a postcard from a loved one, of what I was feeling and experiencing at that time.  

But the very best part of reading my PAST Postcards to God is seeing where He answered my prayers I had forgotten I asked for.  How many times have we, whether on our knees or in our heads, have prayed to God for something so important to us, only to forget about it once the crisis or event had passed?  Going back each day and rereading my requests from past years and seeing how God answered those prayers reminds me of those answered prayers I never thanked Him for.  

Kindof like you did when you were 10 and at camp and sent that postcard to Mom about how lonely you were and she overnighted you some homemade cookies.....Did you ever thank her for those cookies that brought you comfort and showed you how much she loved you? 

Me either.

"What if you woke up TODAY
with only the THINGS 
that you THANKED God for
yesterday?"

No comments: