Sunday, May 10, 2015

Happy Mothers Day From A Non-Mother

It's still raining outside.....the leaves on the trees are blowing at a steady pace and the chimes outside are ringing strong.  The weatherman says rain the whole day long.....its Mothers Day.....and the heaven's are crying.

How appropriate for THIS year......

My sweet friend lost her ability to bear a child this Mothers Day weekend.....the irony in that hasn't moved past me.  I'm sure it hasn't on her either.

I remember Mothers Day growing up in church.  I remember the women who were mothers were given corsages as they walked into church and they always asked all the mothers to stand.  I thought this was a noble thing....never gave much thought to those still sitting....until I was old enough to stand but couldn't.

Since finding out I would never be one of those who could stand, I have screamed a number of times at God, using just one 3-letter word....."WHY"??

I heard silence.

And I'm sure my sweet friend has, and will, as well in the next few days...months...years ahead.

But what I've discovered.....having been able to walk this journey a ways....stop...and look back....is I truly believe God was doing me a favor.  He had my back.  There are a few of us women in this world that He places His hand gently on and says, "I have something far greater for You than a child".....and we scratch our heads....shed a few tears....scream a few "WHY's" and He patiently says "Just wait....you'll understand one day."

Now don't get me wrong.....I don't believe for a second that God was responsible for me not having children.  It was always His plan for us to multiply and to be blessed with children.  I believe SIN was responsible for me not having children....but I believe God saw a fix...a better plan....for me than having children.  He saw a better plan for my sweet friends Becky, and Cathy, and Georgia, and Sandee, and Kathy, and Jackie, and Ann, and the many many many other friends that never felt what it feels like to hold a tiny bundle of their own DNA in their arms and hear its first words say "Mom".

He saw an opportunity to turn bad into good and, as Romans 8:28 says, "And we KNOW that God CAUSES everything to work together for the GOOD to those who love God."  Did you get that?   

God....Causes....Everything....To....Work....Together....For....The....BEST. 

I can't see past today.....past this very second I'm living right now...but I know God does...and I know God loves me....and I know God is good for His word....and I know He has something much greater than a child in store for me.

This excites me.

And I love clinging to this promise.....I love knowing that the disappointment of not feeling a tiny little hand in mine that I helped create.....the heartbreak of knowing I will never witness a high school graduation of a child of my own.....the loss of never seeing a child of mine walk down the aisle and start a life of their own.....the empty arms of never holding my grandchild I helped make.....I love knowing that God has something even GREATER than all of this for me.

And after saying all of this, I read the words of Jesus speaking directly to me today, as He does most every day, through my Jesus Calling for May 10: "Do not resist or run, Liz, from the difficulties in your life.  These problems are not random mistakes; they are hand-tailored BLESSINGS designed for YOUR BENEFIT and GROWTH.  Embrace all the circumstances that I ALLOW in your life, Liz...Becky...Cathy....Sandee....Georgia....Kathy...Jackie....and all the other non-Mom's....trusting Me to bring GOOD OUT OF THEM. "

And as I help honor those women today who were given the blessing of having children of their own, I....and all the other non-Moms who were touched by God for a greater purpose.... am safe and secure in the fact that God has a plan for us.  He has a mighty plan for our lives that we couldn't accomplish had we had children. 

So, wipe those tears away and ENJOY THIS DAY......Enjoy knowing that He loved you enough to give you something even better....

He gifted you with GRACE.

29 comments:

Bonnie said...

Liz---how precious is your message! I’m not sure I agree that your SIN was the cause of your not being able to have kids. I believe that many people have children that should not and they have sinned much greater than you. You live your life for the greater good every day to many people who rely on you for a blessing in their lives, a smile, a helping hand and your genuine spirit of love of others.

Love you, Bonnie

Jackie said...

Liz,

As ALWAYS, God leads your words to touch my heart. I too am a non-Mom. I believe the words of Jesus Christ, there is a reason for everything. God knows best, I trust in him, some days I fail, but I get right back to him. Love you!

Jenni said...

I love this Liz!

Aunt Brenda said...

Oh Liz, loved your beautiful words.....they are awesome and I love you so much!

Georgia said...

Your words have touched me deeply. Thank you my sweet friend for writing this and your many other writings that hit my soul.

Margie said...


So inspirational Liz. Your words brought me to tears but also brought me solace as well.

Sending love and hugs to you and to Chuck.

Margie

Gene said...

Liz, beautifully written and God Bless you my dear and you have a happy day yourself.
We all love you

Doug said...

But know this Liz, you have been and are now a Spiritual Mom to many, some young. Some older, some you know and some you don't know. You are Blessed and used by the Father in ways you know and in many ways you don't know. You are a seeker and you are finding. Keep it up Mom and Happy Mothers Day!

Love you,

Doug

Ellen Louro said...

Love you

Sherrie said...

Happy Mother's Day to a wonderful woman.

Cherie said...

That's awesome Liz...I needed that today too. Hugs to u...and we are mothers to our step children and for babies though :-). Not an easy task! Luv u my friend

Cherie said...

Love this Liz... I can relate too

Jill said...

I know today is a bittersweet day for you. However, after reading your blog just now I am smiling because I see God's blessings through your experience. He does work all for Good! You are about to help mentor hundreds of children and help save souls through Mt. Vernon Cares. God is smiling!

Lee said...

You have mothered my broken, shaky heart so many times, Liz. I love you so much!

Arlen said...

Amen!

Kathy said...

THANK YOU, LIZ. THIS IS BEAUTIFUL

LIz said...

I really, REALLY want us to get together as soon as possible, just the 2 of us. I would love to share something I think is phenomenal in the word speaking to exactly what you are talking about. Should be a great encouragement to you, as it was to me. But will probably be more of an encouragement to you. Can't wait.

Debbie said...

Sissy

Such beautiful words, tears of sadness yet cleansing tears. I know God has great plans for you and I know his grace is sufficient for you. I love your perspective and thank you for sharing it.

Jeanne said...

Hi Liz –



Do you further remember that red corsages were given to those with living mothers and white to those whose mothers were no longer living? I thought of that today – and had not in a long while. I always had a red one – but today I would have to have a white one. That would be too sad.



As the mother of a daughter who could not bear children, I literally feel your pain!

Lulu said...

So sorry I cannot imagine not being a mom from very young age the only thing I wanted to b when I grew up was a mother. God blessed me with 5 birth babies Stanley my first born only lived 2 days. Talk about heart wrenching heart break. Unbearable. But maybe his life on this earth would not have been good. I will get him back in heaven Praise God for that promise. God does know what is best for us all Jimmy Pam Cherie Jerry are all such Great blessings then when they were all leaving the nest I ask God for another baby He gave us Charlie. God is good.
U have had wonderful life blessed life. U have enjoyed times I will never know n I am happy for U
Sending LOVE n Prayers Have blessed day Always grateful to b ur friend. Lulu Kranz

Sharon said...

And one of the beautiful gifts that God has granted me is a Beautiful Friend named Liz. And the number of lives you touch with your gift of writing is far more reaching than you would imagine!

Grace and peace,
ss

James Fulton said...

You're a spiritual mom, kid

Kelly Newsome said...

Wonderful message. Love you

A Friend said...

This is beautiful. Although I do have two adopted children I totally relate to so much of what you wrote. I currently have one son who has been estranged for five years and another who is in a regeneration program for addiction to heroin. Sometimes I wish I had been a non-mom and still ask God why, but all in all I trust Him with the answers I have not yet received.

Hugs,

Israel said...

Hi Liz, I am sorry, I can say I understand because you are a woman and I am a man, however we all as creatures of God experience pain and would like to ask "why" Our God doesn't have to answer that question because in his infinite wisdom He has planned our lives, and we all have been created to fulfill his purpose and so to glorify his Holy name. You were created to multiply, but it is not so because God has a plan for you, and one day we'll understand. Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not to your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and He shall direct your ways. Prov.3:5-6

Brooke said...

Beautiful Liz. Love that you are a God-mom to Roy. When we get to Heaven, there will be no parents, children, marriage - all relationships will be in light of Jesus. And you will stand there, no doubt, in the circle with my babe Roy (Lord willing that he accepts Jesus as his Savior). In Heaven you will be surrounded with the lineage you left behind as you made disciples for Him. So, for a short while, you may not be a mom but in Heaven your true legacy will be revealed.

Love you!

Regina said...

WOW Liz!!! just WOW!!!

I am so blessed and proud to call you my friend!!

And, the flip side to your coin - I've recently become acquainted with a couple of young women who have never had a mother. They longed for one. So, as they let me, I'm stepping in and mothering the heck out of them. I have seen you do the same (Jackie, your granddaughters). I've heard your stories. They don't have to be your DNA (you know that). In fact, I have 2 young ladies who's moms are just awful! So, I mother the heck out of them, too. Part of that is probably because my kids don't want me to mother them anymore. Makes me terribly sad. I feel lost and bereft a lot. So I suspect the Lord is helping my heart with the gift of these girlies. And I think my kids are relieved. God is SO good all the time.

I love you dearly!!

Sandy said...

Dearest Liz and non-Moms,

God’s grace has given me so much more than children. He brought me a man named Larry and his two children, Kent, 14 and Kelly, 16. They changed my life. I no longer thought of myself…my life began to revolve around them. From earning money to providing magic for them. They had a Mom and and Dad and I viewed myself as the glue that connected all of them. I loved their Mom and Dad even though they didn’t love each other anymore. But…….. We all loved the children. I viewed that as a blessing and built on that. The building was so joyful to me. I watched a family I loved begin to heal and I reaped the blessings. Joy became my drug of choice.

When at 2:00 a.m. I ironed basketball uniforms or stayed up all night to listen to and experience a first heartbreak (and had meetings at 7:00 am). I felt energized. My words can’t explain it well… I love what God has given me…I never felt lacking…I have always felt blessed.

This Mother’s Day was again, joyous! I received texts from both my adopted children and thought how blessed I am.

Writing this, I believe being a Mother is finding those who need “Mothering’: It can be a young person in pain, and old person who needs to experience joy and youth again, a teenager who feels lost or a spouse or stepchild who just needs to be hugged.

I guess not being a Mother didn’t weaken me…it empowered me. There’s lots of Mothering that this world needs. So my feeling is: Bring. It. On!

I love you dear friend, Sandee

Cindy said...

I love you Liz & your PRECIOUS SPIRIT!!!