Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Keeping Our Heads Above Water......Chapter 1

December 28, 2015


I am humbled.

As Christians, we are promised NOT to have an easy life.  We are assured that trials will come and they will beat on our doors...and they will try and knock us down, flood us out and discourage us.

But the best defense a Christian has is to hold their head up....keep their eyes looking higher than the flood waters...put on waders and smile.  
 
Smile...because if you're being attacked, there's a good chance we know why...


The last 48 hours have humbled this girl named Liz.  And when the flood waters inched closer and closer to our house and we knew we were in for a difficult night....we prayed.  We prayed all night...ALL NIGHT....as the cat, the dog, Chuck and I sat in the bed and watched the flood waters surround us.  We prayed for peace....we prayed for us to see God's will in all of this...and yes, we prayed for the rains to stop.

To some, it might look like He didn't answer.  But to us.....He answered mightily.

We have been given a safe, dry place to lay our heads at night for as long as we need it by our friend Anne who is out of town for several months.  We have been brought food, extra waders, strong arms and hugs.  We have been prayed over by hundreds of people for strength through this storm we are living through and we feel ourselves getting stronger and stronger with each passing minute and with each prayer prayed.

We have a long process ahead of us.....much cleanup with better than half a foot of water in every square inch of our house and over a foot of water in the garage.  And there is no flood insurance.....so we will be taking out a loan to pay for this on our retired income.  But.....we know this once beautiful home our Landlord, God, allowed us to be tenants of, will be once again restored and we will be stronger by this experience.

Thank you, friends, for your prayers....your help.....your love....your friendship.  We love you all dearly.

Please continue to pray......


26 comments:

Mandy Baum said...

Love your perspective and your faith is encouraging and inspiring! Praying for y'all!

Cheryl said...

Beautiful sweet one - as beautiful as your faith and trust in God. Amazing to see your perspective on all this on the midst of it. Love you and praying continues

Maaike said...

You cheering everybody up with your faith and trust in God, many blessings, praying for y'all.

Kitty said...

My dear friend,
What a testimony!
Love and Joy and Strength to you this very moment. You are never far out of my thoughts and prayers...
Kitty

Jeanne said...

Oh Liz! I am so sorry to hear and see about your beautiful home with no flood insurance. I don’t know many of us who have flood insurance. I’m glad you have found a place to stay anyway, and I’m grateful you and Chuck are safe! That’s the most important thing of all. “Stuff” can be replaced for the most part; people cannot be replaced.



This will be a long, cleanup. I hope you will be able to save some things that are of most value to you. Please keep us posted as you finish Chapters 2 through 100!



Jeanne

Israel said...

Be strong in the Lord, and in the power of His might. Eph. 6:10

Israel

Jackie Stuckey said...

Liz,

Kim shared your loss with me the other day. I have been praying for you, Chuck and the furkids ever sense. My neighborhood in Rowlett was one of the hardest hit in the storm. I am blessed to say, God spared mine and my girl Sidney's lives, he spared my house. I have minimal damage to the roof, it is still intact, gutters have damage, my shed is missing, fence has damage and mine and my room mates cars have damage, but still driveable. Luckily she not home, she was still visiting in NC with her family. I am also praying for the rest of Rowlett, Garland and Copeland who suffered damage! Please let me know if you need anything.

Jill said...

I loved your blog today.
Enjoyed talking to you!!

Chuck Stein said...

Your faith in God continues to inspire me. I am so glad that all of you are safe and have a warm place to be. I am busy with year-end tax planning for clients and then have a commitment through Saturday; I could possibly help out on Sunday if you think I could be of any assistance. Please let me know.



Thanks,

Betty Faber said...

I will continue to pray for you and Chuck and I know that God is with you . If God is for us who can be against us. You will survive this trial and be stronger for it. Love you Guys

Betty

Cherie said...

God bless you and Chuck! Continued prayers my friend. HUGS

Judy Kirkland said...

I love you both sweet friend! God is keeping you in the palm of His hand and we will continue to pray.

Jeannette said...

when you start cleaning up, let me know and I will help you my friend. Prayers and Hugs!!

Lynette said...

Good to know you have such wonderful friends. God always provides. Love and prayers.

SAmmie said...

Love your sweetness and faith, we are not that far away if we can help.

Dan & Darlene said...

We have experienced loss like yours with other friends and pretty much total loss from fire within our immediate family. I am reminded that when it's all said and done and we look around and we have such a feeling of loss, the reality is...it's just stuff. It helps us to refocus on what is really important, our relationship with God, our friends and family. God has promising that you will come through this trial, he will never leave you nor forsake you. Amen

Julie said...

I was anxiously awaiting your update! I knew it would be in true positive Liz style! Keeping you in heart and prayer.

Deawn G. said...

we are so sorry that you and Chuck are experiencing this devastation. You are such a lovely person and I admire your faith and positive spirit so much. You both are in our thoughts and prayers.

Jean Price said...

We are so sorry-can we help?

Tonya Woods said...

Prayers continue to be sent your way. If there is anything we can do in the clean up please let me know. I have a son that can lift and move stuff....not that I can't, but he is much stronger. smile emoticon

Donnitta said...

Keep your faith and stay strong. Let us know if we can help in anyway.

Shirley Burkett said...

Praying for you and Chuck,but I know He has already answered some! You are a faithful servant of the King, you will overcome this!

Betsy said...

I know our God will continue to hold you in the palm of his hand. You and Chuck are so precious to me, and thank you for sharing your story.

Kristy key said...

You are a jewel ready to serve

Pat Pond said...

Liz, I am so glad to hear that you and Chuck and your pets are safe. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I just wish I were close enough to be of help to you.

Bob Kerr said...

Liz & Chuck. I can't hardly believe that this would happen while I was 500 miles from y'all. As friends, I feel a sort of guilt for not being here to help y'all when you're in such dire need. I also realize that my help would be insignificant among the many friends that were actually here to assist. I arrived back home last night (12-29)and I am available and at your service and will be calling you this morning.