Sunday, May 14, 2017

The Gift of Mom


 
 
"Jesus' MOTHER stood at the foot of the cross.......
Jesus saw his mother and the disciple He loved standing near her. 
He said to His mother, "Woman, here is your son." 
Then to the disciple, "Here is your mother." 
From that moment, the disciple accepted her as his own MOTHER.
John 19:25-27

I love that even in His darkest moment, Jesus made sure His Mom was taken care of after He was gone.  He knew that an arrow was piercing her own soul as much as it was His side, so He gifted His Mom to John, the disciple He loved and trusted.

My mom died two weeks before Mothers Day.  I dreaded going through that weekend without her.....I was childless and now I was motherless.  But then I received a call.  A call from a lady named Pam in Winnsboro.......a lady I had met over the years as I delivered Meals on Wheels to her own elderly mother......and Pam wanted to share her mother with me that weekend.

And so she did.

She invited me to Sunday lunch with the whole family......to celebrate this lady she called Mom and I called Jewel.  She gifted me with love.....she gifted me a Mom. 


It was probably one of the kindest things anyone has ever done for me. 
She knew my heart was piercing; aching to feel the touch of a wrinkled hand touching my cheek....longing to smell the Estee Lauder perfume that always arrived moments prior to Mom entering a room.  She knew my heart had a crack in it.....so she handed me her heart.

The Gift of a Mom......I think God had it right creating her from the rib of man....the rib always keeps the heart safe.

No comments: